Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

Re: What table do you use at your drill press?

Pardon the interruption but I hate it when someone does a tutorial and things just aren't right. Those flat washers the lady used to secure the table to the drill press just don't do justice to the tutorial. If you gonna do it, do it right!!!!

Veteran Contributor
paulelaine

[ Edited ]

DSCN0338.JPGI installed a simple table from Grizzly for $33. It came with a fence with stops, but the clamps were an extra $8. It seems to be identical to the Harbor Freight table which is about $5 less. The table insert can be easily replaced when need be by using some left over scrap. It meets my needs for what I do and did not require a large investment. I am impressed with the quality. If my needs change then I will upgrade. The black hose with the yellow tip is hooked to my cyclone based dust collection (ClearVue).

Veteran Advisor
Danl

Shop made...14" x 28 " w/maple fence and tempered hardboard surface.  Rockler T-track and hold downs.  Used for both drilling and sanding.  Shop vac attach port.  I like the features that allow me drill and to sand.  Wish I had made the table bigger.

Danl

DPT-4.jpg

DPT-3.jpg

DPT-2.jpg

DPT-1.jpg

DPT-5.jpg

Frequent Contributor
pat3923220

On this page.

On some of the considerations to hit center, here.

Senior Contributor
Lots of Dust

Hey I made one of those cubes inside a cube, fun little project.

Dust Dust Dust it's everywhere!!!!
Veteran Advisor
brianalt

My table is homemade. I designed it around 80/20 aluminum. 

DrillPressTableLeft.jpg

DrillPressTableRight.jpg

DrillPressTableFront.jpg

The table's foundation of 80/20 aluminum allows me to quickly remove the current table and replace it with another if I need to switch to a different setup. 

DrillPressTableTopRemoved.jpg

DrillPressTable2.jpg

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

brianalt wrote:

My table is homemade. I designed it around 80/20 aluminum. 

DrillPressTableLeft.jpg

DrillPressTableRight.jpg

DrillPressTableFront.jpg

The table's foundation of 80/20 aluminum allows me to quickly remove the current table and replace it with another if I need to switch to a different setup. 

DrillPressTableTopRemoved.jpg

DrillPressTable2.jpg

That's excellent!! You don't do anything halfway, that's a good thing!

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Esteemed Advisor
john880

Looks very function Brian,

A couple of questions;

Have you ever found the need for a taller fence ?

Could your two piece aluminum frame, support a designed removable foundation out at their ends for a set of supporting rollers. For longer pieces ?

I have a simple snap on with a 90 degree permit attached fence, with a sliding stop, no big deal. But I also came across some very seriously heavy 8' length aluminum, ceiling curtain hanger strip. I had this idea on my second considerable more elaborate attempt ( my table top DP also has seen better days) to make a raised base, the size of the DP's base, just enough so that I could. IF WHEN NEEDED, slide in these two lengths of this cut in half track, and locking them into the bottom of the bases DP. Where as I then could then slide & lock a set of rollers used as a end supports. Every time I look at a DP set up I ask myself could this be adapted. Yours is one of the very few,  that I have seen where as you have already incorporated the possibility into the design. These adjustable round rod movable rollers that you can buy as end supports, would take more time & space as just two 4' strips of aluminum frame supports over there in some corner.

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Veteran Advisor
brianalt

Thank you Steve for the comment!

John, I do have a taller fence made for the table, but I do a lot of small pieces so the low fence works well for me.

DrillPressFence2.jpg

The aluminum pieces that make up the foundation are about 40" long and the table is 24". If I am drilling a board that doesn't rest comfortably on the 24" table, I will sometimes place a block out on the aluminum extensions to add support. But if the board is really long, then I will use a roller stand. I don't think really long extensions to support heavy boards would work very well on a drill press table (at least not on mine). The cast iron table of the drill press is secured from rotating by a single large bolt, and I don't believe the single bolt would be able to overcome the force exerted by the weight of a long, heavy board. So the aluminum at 40" total length (extending 20" from each side) seems like a good size for supporting medium length/weight boards and boards that are longer gets supported with roller stands.

Senior Reader
UnstoppableDrew

I made my own out of 2 12"x24" pieces of 3/4" Baltic birch laminated together, added some t-track, and a replaceable center insert. Was never happy with the fence I originally made, but now I use the one from my router table, though its slots don't line up with my t-track (too narrow spacing) so I have to clamp one end to the table. Will eventually drill another hole or two in the fence base to match.

Drill press table

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.