Frequent Contributor
pauljeromek
Accepted Solution

What is the best table saw for about $500?

I'm building a new shop and am looking to purchase a new table saw. I currently own a cheap craftsman 10" saw that really underperforms.  I have been looking at many saws online and am getting confused. I have thought of purchasing the Ridgid R4511 from Home Depot for $499 as this seems to be quite the saw for the money. I am also considering the Grizzly GO478 or G0575.  I really don't want to spend the extra money. I just want the best all purpose saw that will provide me with quality results! Any help would be genuinely appreciated.

Apprentice Visitor
woodman1241

Re: What is the best table saw for about $500?

If it were me buying a new saw, I would definately get the new Ridgid saw with the R4511 Ridigd- great power, capacity, and the granite top just tops it off. I'm set for a while myself- inherited a 45 year old delta table saw, so i'm planning on using that for quite a while. But if I were to get another, it would be the ridgid.

Advisor
Superglide

I can tell you what not to buy. I bought the Hitachi Hybrid from Lowes a few years ago, and wished I had bought the comparable Delta instead.

Veteran Contributor
kevind2067265

I recommend laying in the weeds, I purchased a 1968 Unisaw (3 hp) with a 52 inch fence for $350.00. got it off Craigs List, watched for about 6 months.

Kevin

Honored Advisor
amateur60

I'll second superglide.  You will be able to do MUCH better buying a used saw off Craig's List or the like than buying a new saw in that price range.  Now superglide stole that Unisaw, more or less,  you may have to pay for for a good saw but...  Quality table saws last nearly forever, so buying a 20 year old saw shouldn't be any sort of problem.  (I use a Unisaw made in 1946--I've replaced the bearings.) 

Advisor
Superglide

I wish I had the Delta Unisaw. I have the crappy Hitachi.

Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

Paul - Welcome to WOOD Online.  It's likely that the "best" TS for $500 will turn out to be a good used saw, but the used market is difficult to predict, or count on when you need it.  "Best" is also very subjective....best for your circumstances is what counts.

The R4511 has all the makings to give you good service, as do either of the Grizzly saws you mentioned.

In it's favor, the R4511 has cabinet mounted trunnions, a one piece cast blade shroud as an arbor carriage, large handwheels, riving knife, granite top, hybrid design with the motor inside the enclosure, Herculift, and a steel t-square style fence.  The price is good and it's eligible for their Lifetime Service Agreement.  On the downside, the fence isn't quite as well executed as those of the G0478 or the G0575, though it's functional.  Also, the granite top hasn't really proven its reliability in the long run...time will tell. There's also pervasive rumor that the R4511 has been discontinued....that doesn't necessarily mean problems for you but it's aspect I'd want to consider before buying.

The G0478 has been around longer, has a nice fence, hybrid design, etc., but does cost more, has table mounted trunnions that'll be harder to reach and align, and does not have a riving knife.  The G0575 has a great fence, but is an older style contractor saw design with an outboard motor, standard splitter, table mounted trunnions, and uses traditional connecting rods as an arbor carriage....there's really nothing wrong with this older design, but I don't see any advantage in buying a new saw with this dated technology as long as there are good choice with hybrids in this price range.  There are several advantages to the hybrid design with minimal downside.

You may also want to consider the Grizzly G0661....it's listed as a "contractor saw", but features an inboard belt drive induction motor, which really gives it "hybrid" status by common definition.  It has a very nice fence, riving knife, and the one piece cast arbor carriage.  It does have table mounted trunnions but once aligned, that shouldn't pose a chronic obstacle for you.  

The Steel City 35920 and 35930 have very similar guts as the R4511 (all made by Steel City's Orion division).  The 35920 retails for ~ $650, but a sale price could lower that. The 35930 has a deluxe fence and costs more.

Orion also makes the Craftsman 22124 hybrid, which appears to be discontinued, replaced by the new 22116.  The 22124 is well proven, well liked by owners, has cabinet mounted trunnions, a Biesemeyer Commercial fence, and has been heavily discounted recently...sometimes even in the $500 range.  The 22116 looks like an expensive version of the SC 35920, with perhaps a slightly nicer fence.

If you've got 220v or possible access to it, I'd seriously consider the Grizzly G1023SL on sale for $795 ($889 shipped.  It's indeed more money but represents a whale of a value IMHO....3hp industrial style cabinet saw with much heavier underpinnings than any of the hybrids or contractor saws, and has a good Biese clone fence.  It's simply a more substantial saw than the others and represents the next level up.  It does have a traditional splitter and not a riving knife, but there is an aftermarket riving knife called the "BORK" that fits this saw nicely.  All the saw you'll ever need.

Craftsman also has a new $500 21833 hybrid....I know little about it but it appears to be worth a look for $500.

As a few others have mentioned, I also haven't been favorably impressed by Hitachi's C10FL.  Mediocre fence, weak unreinforced steel wings, under gauged legs, misrepresented horsepower ratings, antiquated wheel design that requires 8 indepedent actions to move and reset, plus I'd be concerned about the effectiveness of the unorthodox handwheel design. Just not one of their better efforts IMO, though it's certainly capable of good service.

Most of these saws are within a couple hundred dollars of each other.  Which to choose should really boil down to your preferences....get one that you really like.  The end performance will be largely determined by setup and blade selection.  They'll all provide ample power, clean accurate cuts, and have roughly the same size tables.  Set some money aside for a good blade.

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Senior Contributor
asavet

I'm still hidin' in the weeds waiting for a unisaw.  Just missed one a few weeks ago on CL by about 15 minutes.  A 3 HP 220 single phase Rockwell/Delta for $250.....Dang, Dang, Dang!.....  Be patient grasshopper.

Roger Newby
Syracuse, Nebraska

Left handers are always in their right minds.
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Have you tried the on-line auctions?  Such as IRS Auctions?

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_search.asp?ind=50.

Search for table saws and see what might be near you.

I bought a bunch of lumber from them recently.  Other than charging a 10% "buyer's premium" and requiring a cashier's check, money order or wire transfer - they are fairly reasonable.

Frequent Contributor
pauljeromek

Thank you to all who posted their opinions! I appreciate the quick replies and honest feedback. Scott, thank you for the time and effort you put into your post! I'm sure you've seen many similar posts before, so again, thank you for your patience. Your feedback is genuinely appreciated and no matter which saw I decide to go with I will definitely set it up to perfection and use a good blade. I look forward to posting again and perhaps answering a few questions.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.