Apprentice Contributor
strippedscrew

What band saw to buy

I have an empty shop and want to start filling it with tools.

What is a good 14" band saw to get for $1000?

After this I'll be looking for a table saw.

Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

Re: What band saw to buy

There are a number of good ones.  The traditional Delta 14" is hard to beat.  For $1000, you could also consider a used 20" Delta.  It is far more than twice the saw a 14" is.

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I won't tell you what to buy (you'll get plenty of opinions soon enough) but I will ask you what you plan on doing with it. Is this your first one? Are you planning on resawing with it? Why a bandsaw before a table saw?

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
ynoT

I got Delta unit that will cut wood and metal. I just don't use it much. It's been sititng for many years... sigh

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Contributor
Jabbeyrn

I would have to agree, why bandsaw first? I'm sure you have your reasons. Even though I don't own a bandsaw, Laguna seems to be a good brand name when it comes to bandsaws.
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

A good used band saw - Pre 1990s Delta 14" with a riser block.

I also like the Rikon 14".

Advisor
Dave in Md

Well, I was just researching bandsaws and had settled on the Grizzly G0555x  and riser http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw/G0555X there has also been good comments on this one on the forum.  Buddy of mine was in cahoots with my wife and I wound up with the G0513 http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513 bigger saw.  One thing I would check on is blade size, the 14" G0555x uses standard size blades that many stock, the G0513 is an odd size blade so I am stuck ordering either from Grizzly or custom made.

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Apprentice Contributor
strippedscrew

I found a Laguna LT18 through a buddy for $1000. Seems like a nice saw. A little bigger than I was looking for, but I think it will suit me fine. Now I need a table saw. Are people generally happy with the Sawstop brand?
Honored Advisor
amateur60

But you don't pay an arm and a leg extra for the "custom" blades from quality on-line sources, and Grizzly does sell TimberWolf blades in addition to it's private label brand.  I wouldn't call it a major factor in deciding. 

Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

If I were in your sitution, I would try to find a good 14" used Delta or Jet Bandsaw for less than $400.00. I would use the remainder to find a good used Unisaw and a used planer or 6" jointer. Now this is my reasoning: You can recoup most of your money when you sell them if you want to upgrade. Most hobbiests do not really need a larger bandsaw, although I do have a Rockwell 20". I use the 14" most of the time. A good Unisaw or some other good brand such as Jet cabinet saw will last a long time. I will get some flack from my suggestions, but I have a great time using my used tools, and I have had excellent service from the older machines since they were built to last. Even my old Walker Turner Cabinet Saw has never given me enough trouble to buy another one. After all, once you bring that $1000.00 bandsaw home and use it one time, it is going to be a used unit, and you will still need the other tools. On the other hand, you may have plenty of $ to get anything you want! If you do, go for the new one!

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.