Contributor
georgefishes

Re: What Router For Dedicated Table Use?

There used to be a show o PBS called the Router Workshop and they recomended using a plunge router and removing the springs. I use an old Craftsman 3 HP I believe and it works fine.

Veteran Contributor
tom monahan

My favorite  routers for my table are 3 Dewalt 610. & 2 Black& Decker.  7616. All five of these router fit the same body. Each  router has a tool.   The tool   stays in its   router no problems  having  to change a tool. Just  grab the  router with the tool set it in the body .  Set the router    the height and away you go.   I   changed  the winged nut for a"washer /nut 1/4" that uses a 7/16 nut driver . The wing nuts never held  tite to my satification. The 610 I use for 1/2" tools and the 7616  I use for 1/4" tools.My work is production thus the five tools are in use all the time.

need to talk with my moderator. Been sick thus I have not been back to join the Forum HELP
Senior Contributor
rph816

I also have the hitachi M12-v the old school one (all green) and it works like a champ.  I don't agree that you need to take it out of the table for height changes.  There are some add-ons (router raizer) that make it adjustable through the top.  THere are also plans for a DIY raising mechanism that can be made for very little.  I have mine mounted in the table saw and still use the factory knob (as I'm already down at eye level).  Works great.  You can still pick up NIB hitachi's for pretty cheap and if you aren't taking it out all the time the non-standard guides etc, aren't a big deal.  One note, I did have to "modify" the base to accomodate 3.5" panel raising bits.

Ryan

Senior Reader
Scott R.

I purchased the Triton 3-1/4" router for my table a few months ago.  It is great and has all the power I have needed so far.  I have been using it for making baseboard and trim through out the house I am building.

I would definitely recommend this router to anyone.

Veteran Advisor
Ted_in_Michigan

Interesting that one of the "standards" is the PC 7518 but nobody uses it.

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Frequent Contributor
Bill in Mich

I have pc 7518 with a router lift ,3 1/4 horse is good for raised panels .Burned my 1 3/4 horse up on first set of panels

billinmich
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I use the PC 7518. You'd never regret it.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

I have 3 Router table set-ups all with Woodpecker Lifts.  The routers are the PC 7518, Bosch 1617 and a older Makita 3.5 Plunge.  I like the Bosch and the PC best.  For light stuff I use the Bosch, for heavy stuff the PC gets the call.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Veteran Contributor
Rick in Pittsburgh

I too have the Bosch 1617 that was mounted under the table and it worked great. That is, until I purchased the  Freud FT3000, WOW, what a difference. I don't think I would go back to a smaller router. The freud seems to run a bit quieter, and when running some heavy cuts I haven't noticed any change in speed. The above table height adjustment and a lock to keep the shaft from turning when changing bits is just iceing on the cake.

Rick in Pitsburgh

Rick in Pittsburgh

The worst of all failures, is the FAILURE TO TRY.
Senior Contributor
Lots of Dust

I'd like to put my vote in for the 5625-20 from Milwaukee. 3 1/2 max hp.  I've not run into anything that this monster couldn't bite into.  I have it in my Shop made table and love it.

Just my vote.

Lots of Dust

Dust Dust Dust it's everywhere!!!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.