Senior Contributor
TexasWally

Use for Used Jointer Knives

Now that I've got the old knives out of my jointer, does anyone have a good use for used knives? They're pretty good steel so why waste them. I thought about making a set of marking knives. Other ideas?

Wally

My other hobby is napping. Fun and inexpensive!
Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

Re: Use for Used Jointer Knives

Bet they'd make decent scrapers if attached to a handle.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.
Al Salisbury, MA
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Made a mini drawknife out of 1 of mine (6" x 1/2"), it worked pretty darned good too!

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

[ Edited ]

It's been a few years back but WOOD did a nice little marking knife project. The plan called for tool steel  and I bet a used jointer knive would be just the ticket for that project. You reminded me I have some old jointer blades laying around. I'll have to find them as I just printed that article yesterday.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Well,  I have a "wierd" suggestion.  I live near the John C. Campbell Folk School in Western NC.  Each year they offer a blacksmithing class on tool making.  The copy for the class is below.

"Woodworkers and blacksmiths of all levels—forge and heat-treat your own chisels, drawknives, plane irons, gouges, and more. Learn about different steels and how to heat-treat tools in your own shop without expensive equipment. If your main interest is blacksmithing tools, make hot and cold cuts, punches, drifts, hardies, hammers, etc. More advanced smiths can gain an in-depth understanding of various steels."

I know the instructor and I've seen a lot of his tools.  He can help you take any piece of reasonable steel and turn it into a fine woodworking (or other) tool.   I heartily recommend taking the class.  You'll never know what tools you might make.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

And you wouldn't send them out for resharpening and then resuse them because.......?   :smileytongue:

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

I was wondering the same, mucho$$$ to toss...

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Advisor
hcbph

Matt

I can't speak to the OP's reasoning but the last 2 sets I did in my planer and jointer, if I caught new knives on sale I found it was cheaper to buy new ones than sharpen the old ones.  I find it hard to justify a sharpening rig for the little I would use it so it's sending them out to be sharpened if I plan to reuse the existing ones.  Might get a sharpening rig one day, but for now it's whichever way is the most cost effective.

That's why I have a some old sets of old planer and jointer knives on the shelf right now

Paul

Senior Contributor
TexasWally

I had two reasons for replacing the knives. I don't have the equipment or the skills to sharpen the blades myself so replacement was my only choice. Secondly, the cost of having them sharpened vs. new ones was just about the same. Since these were OEM blades, I thought replacement was in my best interest.

Wally

My other hobby is napping. Fun and inexpensive!
Veteran Advisor
Jon439

krumy205747: Is this the knife to which you refer:

The piece of metal is 3/8 x 3/16 and 3 inches long.

Marking Knife 1 R.JPGMarking Knife 2 R.JPG

Jon-439

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.