Apprentice Contributor
michael.dingess
Accepted Solution

Unisaw or Powermatic

I’m finally ready to make the plunge on a top line table saw. But, I’m wresting with which to buy, Delta Unisaw or Powermatic. I like the features of both, but appreciate that the Unisaw is currently made in Tennessee and supposedly the majority of its components are still US made. Thought I’d throw this out and see what others felt about these as well as possibly other cabinet saws.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Unisaw or Powermatic

Can't speak for the made in USA, but I have a PM2000. I've had it for  2-3 years now and absolutely LOVE this tool! Perfect from day one with no problems whatsoever. Did I mention how much I like this saw?

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Can't speak for the new UNI, but I have an older model UNI. I've had it for  2-3 years now and absolutely LOVE this tool! Perfect from day one with no problems whatsoever. Did I mention how much I like this saw?

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Advisor
fredhargis

The new Unisaws are the cat's meow....Delta got pretty much everything right on it. I'm not taking anything away from the PM, a nice saw in it's own right...but it's not quite as nice as the Uni (IMHO).

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Hey, Rick, quit stealing my words. :smileyvery-happy: Still touting the PM, but I don't have a UNI to compare too. I'm sure the UNI is also good.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Frequent Contributor
woodgrinder

[ Edited ]

I also have the new unisaw and am not disappointed, it was one of my better tool purchases.  Can't speak for the PM as I never used one, but very happy with the uni.  I think the blade guard is very functional and I am using it all the time verses my old saw guard just collected dust in the corner of my ship.

Senior Advisor
knotscott

Since they're fairly comparable in price and quality, and since you raised the matter, it'd be nice to buy one of the few remaining American made tools.

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Esteemed Advisor
Warped and Twisted

They are both great cabinet saw. I don't think you could go wrong with ether one.

Why not support America?

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Senior Contributor
jimmicarter

I think that www.redmondmachinery.com has a few Powermatic 66's left for sale if you are looking for a saw that is made in the USA. I bought one a couple years ago. Been pretty happy with it.  Then went off shore and bought one of them Sawslops as someone called them on another forum. It's been a pretty good saw too. :smileyhappy:

Jim

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

RussBoyd wrote:

Hey, Rick, quit stealing my words. :smileyvery-happy: Still touting the PM, but I don't have a UNI to compare too. I'm sure the UNI is also good.

I apologize for nothing, sometimes it's just easier to cut and paste.:smileyvery-happy:

Not meaning to hi jack the thread but did you all know that if you spell check RussBoyd your computer will ask if you want to change it to Rosebud.:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.