Contributor
wdworker509644

Re: Tablesaw Rust

Ya'll all missed my favorite ways to keep rust off tools & stay comfortable at the same time. Since a dehumidifier only works above 60 degrees,I returned mine before I ever used it. (I read manual) & bought a portable heater that I keep at 55 degrees unless I am in shop & use a window air conditioner in the summer set on low when not in the shop, (air conditioners act as a dehumidifier)  I do not worry about rust since I did these things.

Reader
Windsor Chairmaker

Greetings All, I use to do the same thing with my table saw top, bandsaw top, etc. One day I had an elderly gentelman visit me and wanted to see how I had it all set up. At the time I was cleanning the top of the table saw because we do have some real nasty humidty here in Missouri. While he was watching me clean and scrub to get small rust spots off, he told me that instead of using any wax to finish it with, just sprinkle a bit of talcum powder on the tops after cleanning them and just rub it in lightly, covering the whole area. I have been doing it that way ever since because he explained that the talcum powder will dry up any moisture you may have missed while cleanning it and waxing it. Plus, I notice that when I use my joiner and other machines that I use to cut pine with, the sap was always a probnlem making it slide like I wanted. Since using the powder, even wood with sap slides across any top I have in the shop. It always helps to listen to the elders, especially the ones who have done woodworking a lot longer than me, so I hope this helps. Ralph Q.

Apprentice Visitor
bleier1420605

Some real good tips; the only thing I might caution against is not cleaning the oil off the surface where it could contaminate the wood piece being worked on.  Some woodworkers like to use SC Johnson Paste Wax as it contains no silicone which, if absorbed into the wood might result in a blotchy finish when applying stain.  Here in Western Canada it is usually much dryer, but we can get lots of condensation at night when the temperature cools off, so I like the idea of a cover. Pretty cold at -25 degrees before I put a heater in the garage to keep my supplies from freezing rock hard until spring!

Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

I use Top Coat on all my cast tool surfaces. When done using tools, I cover mine with felt lined plastic table clothes. No rust at all. :smileyhappy:

Apprentice Visitor
jimbooth

Simonize paste wax not only keeps your saw table from rusing, it makes your stock slide across the table much easier.

I wax mine every 4 months or so, depending on saw use.

I also wax my planer, jointer, band saw and osscilationg drum sander for the same reasons.

A can of wax will last for years.

Visitor
pitzikcat

The reason why covering tool surfaces inhibits rust is simply that the cover provides a thin layer of air  adjacent to the metal surface.This thin layer of air is  thermally insulated from room air & doesn't change temperature as rapidly as room air, thereby reducing the condensation of moisture on the tool's surface. 

Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

jimbooth wrote:

Simonize paste wax not only keeps your saw table from rusing, it makes your stock slide across the table much easier.

I wax mine every 4 months or so, depending on saw use.

I also wax my planer, jointer, band saw and osscilationg drum sander for the same reasons.

A can of wax will last for years.

Be sure not to use a wax that contains silicone.  It can really wreak havoc on your finishes. 

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Senior Reader
amrp

About 40 years ago, I put a coat of polyurathane on my 1969 Craftsman table saw to prevent rust.  It has never been in a climate-controlled shop, and has never rusted since.  I also put poly on my band saw and jointer.

Roger (sawdust manufacturer)

Veteran Contributor
timherrmann

[ Edited ]

ok, besides the point and off topic, but I have to ask--are you THE Jimmy Carter?  I know he's an avid woodworker (and a very good one).

Visitor
Supherb

Some really good ideas presented here but I have just discovered that I have a serious rust issue to try to resolve.

It appears that the roof of my shop has a leak and as luck would have it the drips landed on the table of my General cabinet saw. What do you recommend to try to bring my top back to its original lustre. I have been told that the General Top Saver is a good choice but I would value your expert opinions and feed back.

Thanks for your help with my problem.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.