Contributor
Paul Mundelein
Accepted Solution

Table saw fence alignment

I got a blade and fence alignment jig for Christmas. I've got the blade dead on, but aligning the fence has raised a question. I know that there are two schools of thought on alignment: Dead parallel to the blade and 004 thousands open. I'm opting for the latter. My question is, should the 004 be along the full length of the fence or just from the front of the blade to the back.
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Table saw fence alignment

Paul,

I was under impression that fence is parallel to miter slot, not blade.

The whole fence should be the same.

If you set it up that way then there will be no run-out.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Contributor
herricksfurniture

I have my tablesaw set up so the miter slot is parallel to the fence and the blade. They should all be parallel to each other if you want accurate cuts. It's time consuming but its worth it. I use a beismeyer fence.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Personally I align the miter slot to the blade and the fence to the miter slot. I see no purpose to allow run-out. Especially if you have a gauge that measures to the thousandths. I use a combination square rule. I quess for all I know I do have .004 of run out.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

Here's a good article on how to set up a table saw.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/tsalign.html

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Advisor
Dave in Md

Hi Paul, I have mine set parallel to the blade so that when the needs arises I can move my fence to the left of the blade with no worries.  That said, to answer your question the clearance is from the front of the blade to the back end of the fence.  It is good on Cherry to eliminate burning.

The Light of One Candle is Never Dimmed by Lighting Another.

Dave Moran
Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

I am of the align everything with no toe out camp.  I have a right tilt saw and bevel rip on the left.  If you toe out on the fence if you move to the left you will now have toe in.  Not a good situation.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Honored Advisor

Like the others said if you go for the toe out it is over the full length of the fence.  The other thing to check is if the surface of the fence is even over it's length.    If it has the plastic face it may vary a little which can be corrected by shimming.   The case for setting it up with no toe out is very good as you may not be remember this if you move the fence to the other side.    The blade should be parallel to the miter slot, both at 90 and 45 degrees.   Roly

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.