Veteran Contributor
kplywood1
Accepted Solution

Table Saw Upgrade

Here's my issue. I have a Craftsman TTS model 134... It has the expandable table (left and right), plus a pull out extension behind the blade guard. Wishing to purchase a after-market fence. I ask would these features go? Or, is this upgrade counter-indicated.

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Esteemed Advisor
john880

Re: Table Saw Upgrade

I went to sears for a model 134 to better under stand and to see your saw. It does not show any. Then went to Google maybe a older discontinued model could not find it there ?????

http://www.sears.com/search=craftsman+table+saw+134?vName=Tools&autoRedirect=true&viewItems=25&redir...

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Senior Advisor
knotscott

I'm not familiar with that model...any pics or a more specific model #?  If it's a smaller benchtop model, an aftermarket fence may not be available for it, and likely wouldn't be a good investment for a saw of that type.  

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the delay. Double-checked the numbers on the saw, and of course you were right. The corrected Model # is: 137.24883. As stated before, the table expands from both sides. This a contractors model. With it's own legs and wheels. !0" blade, purchased in 2005.

Senior Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

I suspect you'll have a tough time retrofitting an aftermarket fence to that saw unless you fit the fence to a saw station, because the saw itself is fairly small and has a lightweight aluminum top.  For the sake of clarity, it's really a portable saw on a legstand, not a true contractor saw.  

Is this the saw?:

table_saw.jpg

Rousseau makes such a stand, but you can also build one:

Here's a traditional contractor saw:

oldjet.JPG

Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

The saw pictured is the same. Thanks. Needed to hear it from a different direction.

Senior Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

IMHO, you might be better off selling the saw for what you can get, and buying a decent used contractor saw that already has a decent fence.  It's not uncommon to find them in the $200 to $250 range, which isn't much more than the better values in aftermarket fence options.  You'd have your fence upgrade, plus a heavier duty saw with a lot more operating space, torque, mass, and precision.  

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.