Senior Contributor
HighDesertWWer

Single phase replacement for 3-phase powermatic table saw

There is a used 3-phase 5 hp powermatic cabinet table saw for sale. It is old but may be built in the 70s. Price is low.

What is the cost and availability (compatibility) with replacing the 3-phase motor with a single phase, 3hp or even just 2hp motor?

What frame and size motor is used (is the same frame size motor used for many many years for most Powermatic cabinet saws)?

Thanks

Veteran Contributor
Michael Ford

Re: Single phase replacement for 3-phase powermatic table saw

Most Powermatic table saws are “NEMA C face mount” (4 bolts into threaded holes in the motor face.) 3450 RPM. Make sure you check first to make sure. I am getting to the age to where I have forgotten everything I remember. Worse yet, that makes sense to me.

A few years ago I picked up a PM2000 with a 5hp 3-phase motor. I first used a phase converter and later purchased a new 3hp motor from Powermatic. If you don’t want to deal with Powermatic to purchase the new motor the frame style should be on the label.

At the time the 5hp motor was over $200.00 more then a 3hp motor. I believe I paid around $425.00 for the 3hp 1-phase motor and sold the 5hp 3-phase for $200.00 on Ebay.

I paid $600.00 less then the going rate for the saw because it was 3-phase so I saved around $400.00. The bad part was lifting the motors in & out. They are not light. I kept repeating the Danny Glover saying. I am getting too old for this s*&t.

Senior Contributor
HighDesertWWer

It turns out to be built in the mid 90's. Looks to be a PM66.

3-phase 5hp.

Look very used and may be beat up, but is there a chance that just by replacing the bearings it can be quite OK.

Is $400 a very low price for it?

How much would a 3hp motor single phase for it cost today? Will it fit a 5hp 3 phase saw built in the  in 90's?

Is the 3-phase 5hp worth anything to sell?

Senior Contributor
HighDesertWWer

Do 3hp and 5hp PM66 have the same diameter shaft on the motor?

What I want to know is if I can reuse the old pulleys on the saw, or if a bushing can be used if the shaft on the 5hp is larger.

Veteran Contributor
Michael Ford

For my swap from 5hp 3-phase to 3hp 1-phase the only part changed was the motor. I reused the pulley and even the bolts. (My swap was on a PM2000.) You should be able to find the owners manual on line and at the end it will have a picture of the parts and the part numbers. You can check the part number for both a 3hp & 5hp motor and verify they are the same.

If the saw had a modern fence like a Biesemeyer or even a Unifence then it would be worth the $400.00 asking price. If it has no fence or the fence rails are the round tube type and the saw is in bad condition, I would not pay more then $200.00. I have a Jet JTAS-10XL I plan to sell and will be lucky if I can get $600.00 for it. It is every bit as good as my Delta Unisaw or a PM-66. For what you will have in the PM-66 you should be able to find a table saw just as good with no repairs required. I have owned a PM-66 and it was a very good saw but no better then a Jet or Delta. The best saw I have ever owned was the PM-2000. Of course I have not owned every saw ever manufactured but I do seem to be working on it. My wife says I need professional help. (She is probably right.)

Veteran Contributor
Michael Ford

Sorry I only answered part of your question. You should get around $100.00 for the 5hp 3-phase motor on Ebay. It can be used to make a rotary phase converter so it should sell. Wait until you get the new motor before you sell it so you can use the box to ship it in.

I checked http://www.powermatic.com for the cost of a 3hp motor for a Jet table saw and 3hp 1-phase is $579.99 (P/N: JTAS10L-131) and a 5hp 1-phase is $775.00 (P/N: JTAS10L-131C). The saw can be run using a static phase converter.

Senior Contributor
HighDesertWWer

Michael:

I have to thank you for this post.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.