Advisor
Marlen_at_WOOD

Show Us Your Clamping Tips and Tricks

Our 8/18/11 WOOD Online e-newsletter will focus on clamping tips and tricks. As part of that newsletter we'd like to show any special tips, tricks, or jigs (like that below) you use in your shop when clamping. When posting, please add images to your post for clarity. Our weekly newsletter goes out to around 100,000 woodworkers, so this is an excellent way to share your ideas with thousands! Marlen @ WOOD
Veteran Advisor
brianalt

Re: Show Us Your Clamping Tips and Tricks

I do a lot of glue up of small boards, so I built this clamping station/cauls for my work. It allows me to easily and quickly clamp up a 16" x 30" board without the use of biscuits or dowels. It doesn't differ from regular clamping cauls except for the plastic electrical conduit I used. Because the conduit is a hollow tube it acts like a spring to spread the downward clamping pressure across the face of the boards without requiring a camber in the cauls. Another plus to the plastic conduit is glue doesn't stick to it. Any glue that dries on it can be easily flicked off with your thumbnail.

ClampingCaulsSide.jpg

ClampingCaulsHinges.jpg

ClampingCauls.jpg

Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

While not so much as a "Clamping Trick", the biggest thing that helped me in my glue ups was to make a "Mobile Clamp Rack". Having the clamps, glue, pads, cauls, etc. all on the rack within easy reach of my workbench or where ever I may be in my garage/shop as opposed to walking back and forth across the garage/shop to get stuf makes glue ups go so much smoother.

I made the "Rolling Clamp Rack" from the "New Yankee Worshop" plans that Norm Abram did on his show.

Front-small.JPG

Rear small.JPG

DSCN0036.JPG

DSCN0032.JPG

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Advisor
Floydd

Now and then, I need to clamp two pieces crosscut or ripped at 22½° together. I made quite a few of these little blocks to get a good grip on everything.

IMG_0038  2.jpg

Dave~~from Indiana

I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
Senior Reader
robert.jones3684073

[ Edited ]

brianalt,

This is Genius!  Are plans available?  I can't quite figure out how you connected the "top"cauls.  It looks like they may be adjustable but I'm not positive.

Reader
GPDMTR25

brianalt I love your idea. I too would like more info about  it's construction. Is the height adjustable for thickness of the boards? How about more photos.

Thanks for sharing

Angela

Apprentice Visitor
figs2

How are the top bars connected to the flaps which are hinged. There is a mortis but no view? Please assist with plans or pictures.
Apprentice Visitor
woody130

How are the 2x4's held on the back of the opposing, w/the slot and two screws, 2x4's with the attached hinges?

Veteran Advisor
brianalt

Well, first of all I would like to welcome all the new members to this forum. I hope you take the time to read some of other posts in this forum. We'll find lots of good information and a lot of members who are not only very knowledgeable in wood working but are also willing to readily share their knowledge with others. 

So to answer some of the posted questions, the upper 2x4s are attached to the rear 2x4 by knock down connectors (connector bolts and cross dowels). You can find them here--http://www.rockler.com/c/knock-down-fittings-connectors.cfm. You can't use threaded inserts for this connection because they'll rip right out of the 2x4s end grain. Yes, the upper 2x4s are adjustable.

I plan to build a second set of clamping cauls. It will be a little larger than the one pictured above. I'll take more pictures as I build the second one and will post them on the forum in a couple of days. 

I will post the thread in the "Info Sharing" section of this forum. 

Thank you for all the interest in the cauls.

Veteran Advisor
messy35339

Form, ingenuity and function all in the same package. Thank you for so many ideas.

Taking slobbery to new dimensions!
Messy...

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.