Frequent Visitor
tzam24

Rikon Sliding Table Saw

I am considering going to a sliding table saw. I found a Rikon that is reasonably prices, but cannot find any reviews on it. Anybody out there have one? Let me know about it. I am unfamiliar with Rikon.  Thanks JAS

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Rikon Sliding Table Saw

[ Edited ]

JAS,

We had this conversation sometime ago on the old forum.

Is there a big reason why you are choosing this one over standard saw?

Cheers,

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Contributor
DaveS2

- ynoT - can you suggest useful search terms and/or time frame that you have successfully used to find the relevant posts?  The "search tool" on the old forum seems to provide scattershot results based on any individual word in the query in reverse chronological order, not relevance.  I tried "Rikon table saw" "Rikon" "Sliding table saw" and did not see any relevant posts in 10 or 12 pages each.

- tzam - I did find this sparse commentary: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68232 with more forum links at the bottom of the page.  I don't know how widely you've looked or what your planned use is but Jet and Dewalt have sliders for their hybrid saws.  General has a slider TS.  Other companies such as Excaliber have add-on sliders for most any full-size TS top.  There are European TS systems with fabulous sliders and prices to match...

Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no such thing as safety - there is only risk management...
Honored Advisor
Warped and Twisted

[ Edited ]

ynoT wrote:

JAS,

We had this conversation sometime ago on the old forum.

Is there a big reason why you are choosing this one over standard saw?

Cheers,

Tony

I'm not the original poster but I'll give you my thoughts on sliding table saws. If you get a good one (good one meaning, easy to set up, accurate, will hold its setting and has the capacity for your work) It's a god send for processing truly square sheet goods. With the decline in sheet goods quality and especially so much of it comes out of square the sliding saw make it so simple to pick up any piece of wood and square it up quickly. You might say its like have a high quality cross cut sled that so many make in their shop but you don't have to take on and off, it's alway right there.

If you look around my shop you won't find a miter saw of any kind. That's because I have a sliding table saw and do all my cutting on that. I do my sheet goods and all my face frame material on the slide. Every thing come out square every time. I also have an attachment that goes on the sliding table that does all my miter work and does it very well.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Sorry, No, I couldn't.

It may have been a discussion and perhaps inside that thread someone mentioned the sliding table saw.

Also, Niki Avrami talked about it at length. He was regular at Shop Tip forum and on occasion will post in General Woodworking forum.

Wish I can be of better help.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Frequent Visitor
tzam24

Thanks for the information. What you do with your sliding table saw is exactly what I need to do in my shop. That is why I am looking for one. By the way, what kind of sliding table saw do you have in your shop?

Frequent Visitor
tzam24

Thanks....that helped.

Apprentice Member

Wish I could get a delta contractor saw with a unifence system for $200.00

Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

Found this link on sliding tables add-ons.  Sliding Table Link

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Apprentice Visitor
sales636

Frank speaking, I have not heard this brand. Delta,sawtop, harbougfright is ok.

http://www.lgwheelloader.com/10-inch-sliding-table-saws/woodworking-circular-saw.html

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.