Apprentice Member
KJWhitton

Radial Arm Saw vs Sliding Miter Saws

I am looking at buying either a radial arm saw or a sliding miter saw. Any advice out there?

I think the biggest diference is that you  can put a dado blade on a radial arm saw.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Re: Radial Arm Saw vs Sliding Miter Saws

Only my opinion, because I've never owned a radial (but I have used them), but I think the sliding miter would be more accurate and obviously take up less space. I think the reason most people don't go the route of the radial arm saw is because of accuracy for cuts, whether that be crosscuts or rips. MY OPINION ONLY.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

If it comes down to one or the other I recommend that you get the SCMS. It will hold alignment alot better than the RAS. If you decide that you want a RAS at a later date they are plentiful and inexpensive on Craigs List. I have both tools and use the SCMS the most. RAS is mostly for dado's. Any miters that I need absolute accuracy on are cut on the table saw.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
stick48668

it's gotta be the miter saw... they have it all over the radial except for one item and then dadoes on an RAS is iffy at best when accuracy counts... the TS or a router beat out the RAS here...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

I have to agree with the previous posts. Add to that, the fact that many shops have gotten rid of their RAS's because of their hazard reputation. That's why so many are available on Craigs. The RAS was one of my first tools in my shop. Now it is gone, and I personally do not miss it.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.

Al B ---- from Salisbury, MA
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

This is one that merits a look in the archives; judge for yourself which tool will fill your needs the best.

http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=Node%3Atools&q=radial+ar...

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Honored Advisor
ynoT

If dado is reason you'd want RAS, that can be done on RT or TS with much better results.

Between the two, I'd go for sliding saw.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
amateur60

[ Edited ]

Dollar for dollar it's likely that the sliding miter saw would be more accurate.  That said, a good radial arm saw will be dramatically MORE accurate than any sliding miter saw.  But good RASs cost a lot more and always have.  I think the threshold for decent RAS quality in a new saw starts above $1,500, though you could do a bit better by finding an older DeWalt.  Sliding miters, just like low end RAS saws have been mainly for trim carpentry.  Good RASs made furniture in factories (before today's automated cut off machines and CNCs. 

Senior Contributor
HighDesertWWer

[ Edited ]

As a saw, ie, for through cuts, if you have to work on long work, a RAS is much better. If you need to cut lap joints or open mortise on a six foot rail, you will like the RAS. Even with a dado head, such joint will be unwieldy on a TS.

As a misc tool, the RAS has a role in the shop. You can use a moulding head to make curved raised panel for example. Dadoing as cross cut is also handy with a RAS.

The SCMS also has a role in the shop.

If you seldom work on very long rail, the RAS's misc roles is not indispensable and alternatives are usually there.

I like my RAS but can also see why many don't.

Honored Advisor
krumy205747

A radial arm saw will have more crosscut capacity than most any scms. If it's strictly for shop use I would go with a good used radial arm. If you want some portability than the scms is a better choice. I would NOT buy a new RAS but would be patient and try to pick up a pre 60's Dewalt or something similar. I paid $150 for mine and its a beast. An scms with anything near the same capacity would be $500.00 plus.

Steve K

Where do I get my wood? I'm oppor"turn"istic!!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.