Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

Pneumatic framing nailer ?

I'm looking to buy a framing nail gun. And I'm wondering what is the significanse of the angle,I see 22,27,and 34*( why the different angles).I have used a few in the past that belong to freinds,or employers.But,never thought to ask why they bought the particular one they have !!!! I'm sure there are a few guy's on here that frame house's etc. That could explain the different angles,and lead me in the right direction.

Thanks, Jeff

Frequent Contributor
Smitty/

Re: Pneumatic framing nailer ?

Of the many varities and models of nailers, the most common is going to be the 20 - 22 degree nailers which is 21 degree being the industry preferred, although a degree on way or the other is not going to have any effect on the operation of the nailer if loaded with a different nail clip than specified within that range.

This also makes shopping for bulk box nails easier as it makes manufactures brands interchangeable.

Since some areas of the country require framing be done with Full round head nails I would suggest looking for one capable of handling this requirement.

I own a PC capable of using 3 1/2" nails and have not hand any complaints with it's performance.

Veteran Contributor
LibertyWW

I have a PC framing nailer also.  I have probably put about 4 boxes of nails thru it with no problems.  For the money, you can't go wrong.

Fred

Frequent Contributor
Scruboak61

Is this for everyday or occasional use?  If occasional, check out he 6 in ! from HF.  I received one for Father's Day 5 years ago.  It was a big help doing the shop expansion.  It adjusts to several angles by repositioning a pin.  Everyday use, go with a big name brand like Senco or Bostitch in the angle that you use the most.

Dennis Kelley Msgt (ret) ALANG
"Senior Sawdust Production Manager"
Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

Hitachi is big in the framing industry as well as Max. I framed homes for several years and the Hitachi was the most common gun out there. As far as angle, the more angle the easier the gun fits into spaces such as a wall cavity to shoot members such as headers. I don't know about 1degree difference, but I do know that you should match the degree of gun to the nail you are shooting or it won't shoot right. I'm having that issue now, as someone gave me some nails with a slight difference in degree and it shoots out very oddly. Could be dangerous if you don't allow for it.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Senior Contributor
jeff_dawn_ramer

Thanks for the response everyone.I was thinking the angle was just for accessability.I will keep that in mind when I go looking to purchase one.I'm not really looking to buy top of the line,being that I'm not going to use it alot.I'm planning a shed for this summer,and a new shop/garage next summer (hopefully !!! ) I have an ongoing problem with tennis elbow ( I have never played tennis in my life !!! ).And it rares it's ugly head everytime I start driving alot of nails.So,the nail gun seems to be a way to avoid this aggravation.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jeff

Advisor
hcbph

[ Edited ]

Jeff

Suggestion - see what your local suppliers carry for nails, then once you determine the most common start looking at the nailers.  Nothing worse than buying a tool then finding you can't get supplies for it.  I have a PC cliphead nailer that's done me well, but as noted there are places you can't use it due to code.

Don't overlook places like pawn shops.  I've seen a few there that were in good shape and listed for a good price if buying used doesn't scare you off.

Paul

Veteran Contributor
BryanP

Paslode makes round head nails that can be used in a clipped head gun.........I just bought some for a deck I am working on.

Bryan

Senior Contributor
rondud

Jeff, as for the angle I can't speak for or against.  WA few years back when I got ready to build my woodshop, I went looking on eBay for a framing nailer.  I bought a slightly used Bostitch for just over $60.  I've had no problems at all with it.  You might take a look at eBay.

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
John Adams

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.