Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Planer blades?

I have a Delta 12-1/2"  planer ( aka; snipe-o-matic) that has those double edged "throwaway" blades.   Blades right now are getting a bit "beat-up", so I'm trying to find a source for new ones.   Big Blue no longer has them, Menards doesn't carry them.   I looked on-line,  too much $$$ for a set of blades that I used to get for LESS the $30.  I haven't been to Borg, yet.   Any ideas out there? 

smarter than a doorknob, meaner than concrete

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Planer blades?

I don't know if they sell the knives or not, but Mills Fleet Farm sells the planer. I took a quick look on line but did not find any knives.

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

[ Edited ]

You can touch these up a couple of times before replacing;

Stick the blades down on the top of your TS or other very flat surface, with thin double sided tape. Lay them about am inch or so apart. They should be bevel side down.

Now take your stone and go over the back untill you have a nice edge. I use a 2 sided diamond stone.

This will not take the nicks out, but if you stagger the blades when you put them back they work well.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

-Paladin- wrote:

You can touch these up a couple of times before replacing;

Stick the blades down on the top of your TS or other very flat surface, with thin double sided tape. Lay them about am inch or so apart. They should be bevel side down.

Now take your stone and go over the back untill you have a nice edge. I use a 2 sided diamond stone.

This will not take the nicks out, but if you stager the blades when you put them back they work well.

Nice tip. Why haven't you ever posted this in the top shop tips forum?

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

I should pull my blades and touch them up, next week. I'll take a couple of pics and post them in "Tips".

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Planer blades have been "stoned" and flipped to get the worst side away from the wood.   They had a bad chip out in the center of the blade's edge.   These blades have small ( real small) alignment holes and can't be "slid" to one side  to cancel nicks.  Ain't much to these blades, can't "grind" a new edge on them.   The last set I bought were about $25.   On-line, they are up in the $40 range, plus shipping!:smileymad:   That's almost HALF the cost of the planer when I bought it! :smileymad: 

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"
Senior Contributor
rondud

Lowes carries this blade but they have a Porter Cable package.  $30.00 takes you home.  I have a 13" Delta and this blade works on it.

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
John Adams
Contributor
OTMAN73

is this for the TP-305 ?  If it is, I have the same one.  When you say Big Blue, as in lowes?   Don't know if you know but those blade are under porter cable name now and they have it at Lowes.  I went to go buy mine and couldn't find it until I saw the Porter cable version of that planer and figure they must hav e the blade.  Hope this help.

OTMAN

Frequent Contributor
deputydawg42

Just a thought have you tried eBay or amazon.com? Sometimes it can be cheaper than going to the big box stores.

Professionally trained by the school of hard knocks.
Advisor
whitedogstr8leg

Since I had to go to the sears store today, I checked out the planer blades there.   Hello,  sears brand, but they are they same blades,  for about $26 out the door.  

The reason for going to Sears?   At my "day job", I use 6mm allen headed sockets to adjust "neck blocks" in the injection molding machines I run.   I had a Stanley one until it broke off, two by Allen (Menards), one of those broke, the other rounded off.   I then bought a Craftsman one, about 6 months ago.   It was just starting to round off, so back it went.  Those machines produce anywhere from 32 to 144 parts per shot.  Each "cavity" has two neck blocks.  These form the threaded part of those pop bottles.   To get rid of any "flash" in this area, neck blocks are lossened up, tapped back into place (with a BRASS hammer) and the neck blocks are tightened back down.  Each block has two allen screws.   Now, if smeone knows of a "brand" that will hold up in these conditions, let me know.

"KNIFASIGNIKEHT"

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.