Contributor
Papiflaps1

P-C Chuck/Key Blues. Anyone else have it?

I recently (last Dec) bought the P-C drill press from the Blue box store. I have no problem with the DP whatsoever but the (up to 5/8") chuck (specifically the key) is driving me crazy. The chuck seems to tighten/loosen and hold drills just fine. The chuck key arbor (center pin) measures .310 and I've tried another same size key. Same results. The flutes (for want of a better word) around the perimeter of the key do not mesh tightly with the chuck "gears" so you have to apply a lot of upward pressure while twisting to loosen the chuck...very annoying and awkward. If you're still with me, any others have this "loose gear" problem? If I want to replace chuck what kind am I to look for? I would prefer to not have this expense. I know nothing about replacement specs, etc. The present chuck has a tapered arbor that looks like many others I've seen on web. I would really prefer a chuck KEY that WORKS...then all would be great. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

Bill
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: P-C Chuck/Key Blues. Anyone else have it?

unless they intentionally make them that way (which makes no sense), it sounds to me like you got a key designed for another DP.  It's one of those little aggravating things that takes a lot of the joy out of using it.  you might contact P-C and see if they have a replacement key for you.... 

Contributor
Papiflaps1

I agree. If that is the error I'll be very happy. The question then becomes where/how do I get the correct (tight fitting) key? I will contact P-C, Delta, DeWalt, B&D...whatever they're calling themselves, today!

Bill
Veteran Advisor
georgenoeth1

My grizzly DP has a spring on the center pin of the chuck key that makes it awkward to use.  When you let go of the key it falls out.  It is done to prevent leaving the key in when the unit is turned on.  That can be a painful experience.  

George Noeth (Gadget Guy)
Wood Online forum Host
Esteemed Advisor
john880

My older Delta did the same thing as you described, I had to insert the chuck key then lift the key while trying to keep it in the hole, to engage the teeth to the chuck. Some of the time I had to shhut the motor off, go back & re-tighten the chuck thinking that I had did it right the first time.  Result,,,adventualy since that key teeth does not fully insert into the chuck's teeth. The foremost part of the  keys teeth will prematurely wear out. Think you have troubles now (???) so find out and get the right key now, rather than wait trying to adjust to a bad key as I did.. 

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

You will need the # of the chuck to get a key that matches it. Call a repair service center which you should be able to get the phone # online.

If the teeth are good on the chuck there is no need to change out the chuck.

Esteemed Advisor
smallpatch1

I just checked and you can get a phone # on line for a Porter Cable service center. I am sure they can help you.

Just for curiosity why don't you go to that store you bought the drill press from and see if they have another one like yours and see what chuck they have to fit the new drill press. It really sounds like they gave you the wrong chuck key.

The people working there usually don't know squat about the products they sell and I'll bet they made an honest mistake.

If it is closer to go to the store or less trouble to phone the service center , your choice. If you keep using the wrong chuck key you can screw up the teeth on the chuck. 

Contributor
Papiflaps1

I sent an email to P-C per the website info in the manual. They did return an email within about 2 hours directing me to the company that made the DP. I called, left a message (you can't get to speak with a real person) and am now waiting for their call. I'll give it a couple days then repeat process and call closer service center.

I did take my key to Lowe's and tried it in the floor model...exactly same results! The key with the floor model also was identical to mine. There is a ID on the check, "JT3"...whatever that means to someone. It is also identified as being 1-16mm (5/8"). The chuck sprockets are fine...very hard I guess. It's the key that's getting messed up by exactly the same process as one responder mentioned below, I think with a Grizzly. We'll see...

Thanks for all replies so far. Yes, I agree, the little spring-loaded pin in the center makes things even more difficult and is, in my opinion, for the lame-o's who probably shouldn't be using machinery anyway.

Bill
Honored Advisor
handy-dan

If you have a local tool repair shop remove the chuck from the DP take it to them.  They will probably have the right key on hand.  I got a used lathe with a chuck and had the same problem.  My local shop fixed me right up with the correct key.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

My chuck keys have a number on them that corresponds to the chuck. I am one of those lameos that has left key in the chuck. It threw it out but not dangerously. I think that if you use one often enough, you might be one of those lameos.

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.