Apprentice Contributor
meierc

New cyclone dust collector review

So, I am looking for a cyclone dust collector.  I haven't sized everything, but am probably looking at a 3HP or 5HP model.  I do not recall having seen cyclone reviews and tests for a while, and several new models have come on the market since the last review in Wood (about 5 years ago??).  I am torn between the 3&5HP models offered by Grizzly, Oneida and Laguna.  Anyone have advice, testimonial etc about any of these?  Thanks much.

Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

Re: New cyclone dust collector review

Check Bill Pentz website & build your own. Failing that have a good look at the ClearVue cyclone.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Frequent Visitor
SmithWerks

Hi Meierc,

I have a 2hp Oneida system and am very happy with it.  Terrific suction - works great in my 24' x 24' shop with 8 machines hooked up.

Senior Contributor
Allan Johanson

meierc wrote:

So, I am looking for a cyclone dust collector.  I haven't sized everything, but am probably looking at a 3HP or 5HP model.  I do not recall having seen cyclone reviews and tests for a while, and several new models have come on the market since the last review in Wood (about 5 years ago??).  I am torn between the 3&5HP models offered by Grizzly, Oneida and Laguna.  Anyone have advice, testimonial etc about any of these?  Thanks much.

What's your shop layout like?  Potential longest run?  Type of tools?  How many tools will be operating at one time?  Do you have an idea of how many cfm @ x" SP you want?

For a 1-person shop in a 2-3 car garage a 3HP cyclone is usually all you need.  Note that the Clearvue has a 5HP motor, but is really a very strong 3HP cyclone as far as performance goes.  The Clearvue is my personal first choice in hobbyist cyclones for those who want great performance - but a true industrial situation may need something stronger.

Cheers,

Allan Johanson
WOOD Online Forum Host
Specialty: Dust Collection
Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

[ Edited ]

I bought an Oneida 2 HP SDG and am at the other extreme from SmithWerks, very unhappy with it. It's a very long story, but the cliff notes version is I had to upsize the motor (it's now a 5HP) among numerous other minor things. Yes, it is built like a tank and has very, very good air flow but very very poor separation...especially if you use a drum sander a lot (I do). At Oneida's request I measured the separation. I get 98.6% (by volume, and the factory specs are 99%) so I'm putting 1.4% of the material into my filter. That's too much, IMHO. I generally clean my filter twice for every 55 gallon drum of debris. The design of the SDG just doesn't meet some criteria that Bill Pentz established in his testing, there is no air ramp, the neutral vane is questionable, and the inlet isn't designed properly. Before someone starts beating me up for my opinion, remember that is exactly what is is: my opinion based on my experience. I would also mention that I'm one of the few (maybe only) folks unhappy about with their SDG. I've not seen anyone else post complaints about it, but I"ll never do business with them again.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Apprentice Contributor
meierc

I am currently setting up the shop, so have a lot of flexibility.  My wife and I were lucky to have found a garage with a house attached, this last time we moved.  The shop is an attached garage measuring 30'X40' with 14' ceilings.  The longest run will probably be 35' horizontal, with another 15' vertical (10' drop to tool and 5' drop to collector).  I can see operating two machines at once.  The tablesaw and bandsaw have two dust collection ports (may count as two machines??).  The dust collector would be located in the corner of the garage. 

Thanks much!

Senior Contributor
Allan Johanson

You'll be happy to know, the tablesaw and bandsaw with their two ports each do not count as two tools.  The tablesaw will like a full 800cfm and the bandsaw (at least up to 17"), IME, will use about 550cfm.  They are quite restrictive internally.

When you say you can see operating two machines at once, which ones are those?  Or will they change (two people doing random things, instead of a specific task)?

If you will have two people using (example), the tablesaw and the CMS, you will need a ton of airflow to satisfy both machines at higher standards.  Even a Clearvue may not keep up with this load (1600 "real" cfm for the dust-conscious folks out there).

What are your dust collection goals?  Get most of the dust within reason while watching the wallet?  Get all you can, wallet doesn't matter?  How often will two people be in the shop at once?

Cheers,

Allan Johanson
WOOD Online Forum Host
Specialty: Dust Collection
Apprentice Contributor
meierc

Thanks Allan.  I can see working in the shop with a helper (nephew), so one person using the chop saw and another the table saw, for example, but the typical situation would be for me to use one machine.  As for cost to value, that is a good question to ponder.  I would say watching the wallet is important, however, I don't want to have to upgrade in the future or replace the dust collector later on.  I would much rather pay a little more now to have something that will meet my current and future needs and last a long time.  So, I would like to get an idea of a Cadillac system as well as the Buick.  Forget about the Chevette system.  My father died of lung cancer, so I am taking the dust collection system seriously--if I am going to install one, I had better do it right, and don't care about bells and whistles--just performance.  Thanks much.

Senior Contributor
3-j

My choice is the Clearvue, too.  The reports on the fines reaching the filters is ... very, very little.  Others which do not keep the fines from the filters as well will cost you money by your need to replace the filters when they clog and become less effective.

Apprentice Contributor
meierc

So, from all the fedback, it sounds like what is needed is another tool review in WOOD.  I would like to see a review of the new 3 & 5 HP performers (Oneida, Grizzly, Laguna, Penn, Delta, others) and the ClearVue, to get a good comparative understanding of performance, value and quality of construction.  Thanks all.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.