Advisor
Beaver Creek Woodworks

Re: My ShopVac Blows

Quote   Only issue with filter bags is that some folks might want high quality filtration (like me).    I have a HEPA filter on my shop vac and love it compared to the regular quality filter that spews fine dust in the shop.

I use a drywall dust bag with the filter.  At one time I ran the vac sans the filter.  I had occasions when I would burst the bag and spew dust all over the shop.  I replaced the filter cartridge and only seemed to loose a little suction.  So now I use both.  Sorta like wearing a belt and suspenders.

Greg Coleman
Jackson, TN
Veteran Contributor
demardist86

Check for a clogged hose or the check valve (ball in a cage) being stuck. Marvin

Veteran Contributor
Jim Frye

Allen:  ShopVac makes a "drywall dust bag" and it really does stop the bypass of fine dust.  It is better than the CleanStream pleated filters I have for my ShopVac.  If I use the vac in a house, I will put a drywall bag in to keep blow by from getting out. 

On a different solution, I use the central vac most of the time in our house, if I am out of the basement shop.  I use a ShopVac stepped adapter to couple the ShopVac hose to the central vac hose and then connect the tool to the ShopVac or Bosch tool hose.  The central vac (a Nutone unit) is located out in the garage, has a felt bag filter with a cyclone tank, and exhausts the air outside through a dryer hose and vent.  No chance of dust escaping inside the house.

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
Senior Contributor
Allan Johanson

[ Edited ]

Jim Frye wrote:

Allen:  ShopVac makes a "drywall dust bag" and it really does stop the bypass of fine dust.  It is better than the CleanStream pleated filters I have for my ShopVac.  If I use the vac in a house, I will put a drywall bag in to keep blow by from getting out.

Thanks Jim.

I was aware of the drywall filter bag but I don't know what the filter specs are.  ___% at ___microns.  I know my HEPA is 99.97% of particles at 0.3 microns, but I don't know what the specs are for the drywall filter.  I should contact Shop Vac and see what they say.  If the drywall filter is extremely fine like my HEPA filter and also has the non-stick charactistics you need for gypsum and other easily caked materials, that would be a major bonus.

Cheers,

Allan Johanson
WOOD Online Forum Host
Specialty: Dust Collection
Veteran Advisor
Jon439

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem with my SHOP-VAC brand vacuum. When you develop a leak in the filter bag, or filter or filter cartridge, any dust you do pick up is passed through. This tends to build up in the blower assembly and is difficult to get rid of.

First take the hose off the machine, and take the motor assembly off of the collection can. Remove any filters on the inside filter cage. Take the motor outside, plug it in and turn it on. Dust will come out. Now while it's running take a 1 inch dowel about a foot long and bang on the sides of the blower assembly. Not hard, just enough to knock any built up dust out. Be patient, as it may take up to 10 minutes of running, tapping, running, tapping ... Turn it off and on a couple times during this operation. You will be surprised just how much built-up dust will come out.

After nothing else comes out for a minute or so of running and tapping, turn it off, un-plug the motor/blower assembly and with a damp rag, wipe down all surfaces, especially around the area that contacts the collection can.

Now put on a new filter bag/assembly/cartridge. Plug it in and turn it on again without putting it back into the collection can. Be sure you dump the collection can and with that same damp rag, wipe it out very good.

Now re-assemble your vacuum and it should work just fine. I find I have to do this about every six months or so to keep the shop vacs from spewing a great cloud of fine dust back into the shop.

Jon-439
Advisor
handyman john

[ Edited ]

Allan Johanson wrote:

Only issue with filter bags is that some folks might want high quality filtration (like me).  :smileyhappy:  I have a HEPA filter on my shop vac and love it compared to the regular quality filter that spews fine dust in the shop.  Sort of like a mostly invisible dust cloud version of the OP's problem.

I haven't looked into the variety of filter bags lately so I don't know if there are HEPA variants of those for shop vacs.

Cheers,

It would be pretty hard to make a HEPA paper filter bag however the "drywall dust" bag is finer than the white one. I don't find them any better in the shop or on the job than the white paper bags - that's JUST an opinion because I didn't do any TESTS to draw that conclusion.

I believe SHOP VAC DOES have a HEPA filter system but, like most things it comes with a HUGE price.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Advisor
handyman john

best way to test if the motor is infused with dust is REMOVE the top and turn it on; if it still blows dust you need to clean the motor and fan do eliminate the problem THEN get a better filter.

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Senior Contributor
3-j

Jim Frye wrote:

On a different solution, I use the central vac most of the time in our house, if I am out of the basement shop.  I use a ShopVac stepped adapter to couple the ShopVac hose to the central vac hose and then connect the tool to the ShopVac or Bosch tool hose.  The central vac (a Nutone unit) is located out in the garage, has a felt bag filter with a cyclone tank, and exhausts the air outside through a dryer hose and vent.  No chance of dust escaping inside the house.

Jim, I have used Cleanstream filters for years and it is difficult to believe the drywall bag filters better.  I have used the Cleanstream when sheetrockin' in various rooms in my house and have had absolutely no dust escaping issues.

Senior Contributor
monfre

Ive been sucking up plaster dust using my dust deputy and have no complaint or any dust on my filter inside my shop vac, I would tell you to buy a dust deputy and be done with filters all togeather. 

Dan
Cedar Grove,Wi

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.