Advisor

My Drill Press Table

I decided that I would finish my drill press table today.  I've had the table attached to my drill press for about a year now and never got around to putting the t-tracks in.  So today I didn't have anything else to do, and was thinking about how much of a PIA it is the use clamps the hold my Aluminum angle/ fence in place.  So I dug out the t-track, and hardware.  I routed out the necessary dados.  Then I installed the t-track and gave everything a good wax and wha-la no more PIA clamps to hold the fence in place.  Next thing I need to do to it is rout out a pocket and make a few sacrificial inserts to drill into.  Maybe I'll get to that one next year LOL!!!

6300i89BC6A3AEC6A7E09

6302i45B8BB138EC124D6

Contributor

Re: My Drill Press Table

[ Edited ]

Love it, Tarner.  I did the same a couple years ago.  I feel like a "wood machinist" when I step up to the drill press now that it works so smoothly.

What kind of T-track is that?  I don't recognize the color.  Rockler's is blue, and pricey!  What does yours cost?

Very nice table.

Hey, I noticed the Kennedy toolbox in the background.  Kennedy is, of course, the box of choice for machinists.  Does that describe you?

Mark in Atlanta

Advisor

I don't remember what brand the t-tracks were.  I picked them up at a hardware store that also sells wood working tools.  I think they got me for about 15 bucks for a four foot stick.  I'm not sure though, I've had them for about a year now.  As far as the tool boxes I use to be a Tool and Die/Mold Maker for about ten years before I became an Ironworker.  Now that construction has taken a nose dive I'd like to get back into tool and die or even woodworking.  We'll see, I have a few leads on some jobs.  Just have to see how they pan out. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good luck with that, Tarner - it's a tough economy.  I'll bet the tool & die world is recovering some now.  I deal with precision machine shops (but not T&D shops) from time to time, and they are all slammed with work.

Really nice DP table.

Honored Advisor

Nice start on that table, Tarner.

Will you provide for a removable center piece?

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Advisor

Darn, looks like I'll have to upgrade mine now.  That's pretty nice, simple, but nice.  I like the cabinet you've got the DP sitting on, too.

Veteran Advisor

[ Edited ]

I got mine (red) from hartvilletool.com. $13.99 per 4' piece. Great job on the table no matter what track you used.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Contributor

Tarner - if you live around (or could commute to) western Michigan, I have a lead on a Machinist job. FYI.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.