Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

Mortising machine chisel sharpening

How do you sharpen the chisels for a mortising machine?

I know I can get a round (ball shape) stone for a dremel and touch it (carefully) to the inside of the chisel, but I am not sure that is the best way, and would probably need 4 different sized stones for the 4 chisels (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8).

Plus, I am not sure a stone would sharpen the chisel enough.

I do know NOT to sharpen the OUTSIDE of the chisel, as that will change the cutting size of the chisel.

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970
Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Mortising machine chisel sharpening

[ Edited ]

You can hone the outside of the chisel to deburr the cutting tip, so long as you're being gentle about it.

But for honing the inside of the tip one of THESE from Rockler is the ticket.  While it may look like you chuck it into a drill press or a hand drill, but you don't.  It's strictly hand operated.  This keeps you from doing unfortunate things at power drill speed.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

[ Edited ]

Matt's advice will give good results to be sure. I've spotted this baby though and am just looking for the opportunity to get one and try it out: http://www.monstermarketplace.com/woodworking-supplies/dremel-5-8-round-nose-cone-aluminum-oxide-gri...

593f135ecba1a29735fc802d507a.jpg

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Senior Advisor
fredhargis

I bought a set of stones from Lee Valley that do a nice job. If you have Clico chisels, I think they may be ground at a slightly different angle.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Mortising bit tune up. LINK

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
sitesr

Rick, thanks for that article.  I always have trouble keeping my bits sharp and I think that will really help.

Ron

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Take a look at peachtree. They have some nice ones.

www.ptreeusa.com

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
joebtool

+1 on Matt's suggestion. I have that setup and it works great. The handle also doubles as a holder for 1/4" screwdriver bits.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

>>>>  I do know NOT to sharpen the OUTSIDE of the chisel, as that will change the cutting size of the chisel.

Not true.  Honing the outside surfaces of a mortising chisel is one of the required activities for top-notch and clean mortises.  You want to hone to outside surfaces to the same degree as you hone the back of plane irons.  This makes for easier entry into and exiting the wood and leaves smoother surfaces.

Howie..............
Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

Understood Howard, but SHARPENING the outside is a different activity from HONING, which is what I was trying to get across in my post.

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.