Contributor
barry.colbran

Re: Miter Saw Suggestions

I have a 10" Ryobi compound mitre saw.$ 169.00 at HD in Canada It is equioed with an 80 tooth Freud blade. I did 4" crown molding in my house using this saw and the Cut n Crown jig. Worked like a charm

Veteran Advisor
It was Al B

Based on the original post, the buyer is a homeowner, DIY handyman type. He obviously doesn't wish to spend $500.00 or so for an occasional use tool, but wants a good dependable mitersaw.That describes me pretty well except that I enjoy woodworking and have built cabinets and other pieces of furniture. I owned a Hitachi 10" dual compound mitersaw that I really loved. I thought I'd like a saw that could cut wider boards,so, I purchased the 8 1/2" Hitachi sliding compound miter saw. Again, It did everything I asked of it. In my infinite wisdom, I decided I didn't need both saws so I sold the 10" dual compound miter saw. That 8 1/2" slider works great, but I found that I really missed the dual compound feature of the CMS. The ability to make compound cuts to the right or left definitely reduced my chances of making  wrong way cuts on mouldings. For a DIY'er I think a 10" dual compound mitersaw will do almost averything needed unless he plans to cut wide boards. For that, the slider is needed. I will also recommend HITACHI from my experience with my own tools.

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you have been taking.
Al Salisbury, MA
Honored Advisor
kmealy

[ Edited ]

Really cost effective for a DIYer?  If I was a full-time trim carpenter, especially doing remodel work, in a New York minute.   But $/cut for a few rooms?

For trim work, I'd even question the need for compound mitering.   I just build a cradle to hold the crown upside down and then only swap between 45s rather than reset two obscure settings for each cut.   Just that many more chances for making an error.

Gary K. wrote:

Why not buy the best?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/561287/Festool-Kapex-KS-120-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw?mkwid=en2SJcT...

Spoiler
:smileyvery-happy:

Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

kmealy wrote:

Really cost effective for a DIYer?  If I was a full-time trim carpenter, especially doing remodel work, in a New York minute.   But $/cut for a few rooms?

For trim work, I'd even question the need for compound mitering.   I just build a cradle to hold the crown upside down and then only swap between 45s rather than reset two obscure settings for each cut.   Just that many more chances for making an error.

Gary K. wrote:

Why not buy the best?

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/561287/Festool-Kapex-KS-120-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw?mkwid=en2SJcT...

Spoiler
:smileyvery-happy:

Well, my response was mostly tongue in cheek as I know that most people on this WOOD forum are of the frugal nature.

There are as many personal situations as there are people. Many rich people collect mansions and exotic automobiles.

Many poor people find their little treasures and  restore them.

Many DIY people look for bottom shelf tools to get the job done and be done with it.

Myself?  I have been a hard working machinist-turned Quality Control who loves to spend my money on quality engineered tools. I don't have a motercycle, boat, hunting trips, etc, etc. so my hobby was collecting tools that are top shelf and that I used every day.

By the way, I have been all of the above: Poor and DIY. But I have never collected mansions or exotic auto's.:smileyvery-happy:

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

Gary, check your in box would cha,,,,,,,,

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Apprentice Contributor
zaq100

Craftsman has some good inexpensive saws.  Now if there is a fair chance that wood working could become a pasion, you can get a very good deal on a Dewalt 718 now that the new 780 is out. and you can pick up the work light that progects a blade cut line shadow for about $30 on line.  I was so impressed with this system the first time I saw it that I couldn't get it out of my mind untill I bought one.

Contributor
alondon6

I have a Dewalt 12" that I built my home with a long time ago, used it to do all the trim work as I couldn't afford more tools at the time, I added a Dewalt 10" a few years later when I started into picture framing, this unit see's excessive use, not one issue, then in 1994 +/- I was building some homes on the side and bought a Rigid 12" slider mainly for stair treads, it is now used in the shop to cross cut wide exotics.

Your 12" will do the trick with the right blade, a 10" is super handy and a good excuse to add another saw if your budget allows, they are pretty cheap today.

Senior Contributor
Lots of Dust

I've been using this one for many years now and it's been a great saw for me.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bosch+miter+saw&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:smileysurprised:fficial&clien...

Good luck with your search

Lots of Dust

Dust Dust Dust it's everywhere!!!!
Honored Advisor
stick48668

ditto for this one...

http://toolselect.com/product/detail/Bosch-5312?return=eNortjI2tVLSL05NLErO0E9OLElNzy-q1Dc1NDDXNzE01...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Contributor
coltons4

i got a steal on my miter saw its a gmc brand  sliding miter saw  got it for 50 dollars because they were getting rid of it at our sears

lifes short
do woodworking

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.