Apprentice Member
Voit3949909

Makita vs. DeWalt

I am interested in purchasing a New drill/impact driver.  I was looking at the DeWalt KCK290L2 20V Max Li-ion and the Makita 18V Lithium-Ion.  The Makita specs show it to be lighter on the Drill (3.5 lbs.) vs. (5.2 lbs.) with the DeWalt, however I was interested in overall durability and power.  Also the Makita has a 15-minute Rapid Charger vs. the DeWalt with a 1Hr. recharge.  Any input would be appreciated.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Makita vs. DeWalt

I personally can't speak for the DeWalt, because I've never used one. I can say, that I personally have never had much luck with DeWalt tools and will never buy another tool with the DeWalt name on it.

As far as the Makita is concerned, are you speaking of the 1.5 amp hour or the 3 amp hour? When they first came out, it was explained to me that the 1.5 Ah is targeted to the DIYer and the 3Ah towards the professional. The Ah simply put is the size of the gas tank. The 3 Ah battery supposedly has 13 hours of run time. With these drills having a 15 minute charge time, there is really no reason for a DIYer to spend the extra money for the larger batteried unit.

I have used the 1.5 Ah unit and found it to be very light and comfortable to use, with plenty of power. In fact it was powerful enough to mix a full bag of tiling grout with out skipping a beat. When the time comes for me to buy a new drill, this one is definately on my short list along with the 18 Volt Bosch.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

You might also try looking HERE, at Wood's new Review-a-Tool site.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
pidol1

if you can add a few more dollars to your budget get Hilti brand 14v impact drill/driver they're still made in Switserland.almost the same actual torque range as the makita and dewalt.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Makita over the DW...

Bosch over the Makita...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Advisor
firejohn

Bosch 18V LiIon combo (drill/driver & impact driver) set with charger and two batteries it definitely worth serious consideration.

Advisor
Rrandy

I don't know if the tools are weighed with or without batteries. A weight without batteries would be good as the difference in weight between a battery with 1.5 aH versus a 3 aH battery might be substantial, certainly close to a pound. I've noticed what seems to be a drop in quality on DeWalt tools. Some older ones are still chugging along while some newer ones seem to fade or quit too soon. My cousin has a corded drill, corded saw, and an older and newer cordless drill driver. The older ones are fine but the newer ones have been back for warranty work already. I dunno what's going on there. Back on topic...

Watch the battery rating while comparing the tools suggested. If they all have the same amp/hour rating then it is a pretty straight up comparison. If they have a half amp/hour rating difference then just keep in mind that's the gas tank.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Makita has a long, and good, record on quality tools.

I have corded drill by DW and it works fine.

The cordless Makita, some 20 yers old, is going fine buy finding new battery is becoming harder.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Like Stick says, B O S C H

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Advisor
2Chessies

I may be stepping on your post a bit but you asked for input,so... Unless you are using your tools heavily and every day,there are alternatives out there that will do the job quite well.I have used a variety of drivers over the years working for various contractors and have found almost all the big names to have a pretty good success rate.DeWalt has the convienience of being available even in most small towns.Makita has a very good history and Bosch has a good quality record as well.If you are looking at doing occasional shop work,or even small remodeling projects,look at the Ryobi line,Ridgid line or even Craftsman.I have used all 3 of those and they will perform most tasks as well as any other unit. I use my Craftsman drivers literally every day and have been pleased with their capabilities.I've gone through several batteries with them but they are 2 and 3 years old.I don't have the lithium batteries yet for them,I'm still using the old 19.2v NiCad packs with the 1 hr chargers.Keep your options open,everyone has given good advice.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.