Frequent Contributor
chemcody
Accepted Solution

Machinist Square

Hi guys,

I am hoping that you can point me in the right direction of a good machinist square.

I need a good benchmark to make sure things are as good as I can get them.

many thanks,

Bill

Senior Advisor
Woodburner

Re: Machinist Square

I have a Starrett which I have had for several years and recommend it highly. They make really quality measuring and squaring devices. Cost a bit, but worth it.

LEO
Forums Host
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

To expand on what Leo said, I have the Starrett Combination square that does a little more than just a Machinists square.

Make sure you get a Starrett, not one from across the Pond.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Starrett and Mitutoyo are generally top shelf.   Have heard of problems with PEC and Brown & Sharpe; can't comment about the US General units.

Honored Advisor
JL North GA

I have a Starrett.  I recommend it.

I also picked up two sizes of Pinnacle Precision triangles from Woodcraft a while back.  I really like them for squaring cabinets, frames and the like.  They also come really handy for doing jointer fences or table saw blades.  I checked them against my Starrett and a machinist's square and they are pretty square.  They are also quite sturdy.

Frequent Contributor
chemcody

Thanks Fella's,

Starett it is.

Bill

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

chemcody wrote:

Thanks Fella's,

Starett it is.

Bill

You won't regret it. I have a Starret 3 piece set I bought used and it is still as a good as new. I showed it to a Starret rep at a woodworking show and he said it was at least 50 years old.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.