Frequent Contributor
musky fisherman

Legacy Ornamental Mill

Does anyone have one?  Looking at buying one and would like to hear from someone who uses or has used one before making the purchase.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Legacy Ornamental Mill

[ Edited ]

Wonderful machine.  I've got the model 900.  

It mills round stock between centers, you can use the (extra cost...) hold downs to act as a vice to hold the wood and then use it as a kind of a milling machine if, say, you needed to shave a ten thousandth off of the face of a board if you needed to.  Then of course it has an optional template follower for pattern work, and you can mount an MDF table and do overhead work that can't realistically be done any other way.    I like that vice system with the flat bottomed bit.  I'm now able to 'plane' boards that would normally be too small to put through the planer.  It was a major player in a big piece of furniture that I just completed.

I've had mine since the end of summer and I've only scratched the surface of what it can do.    It's generated a whole lot of sawdust and I haven't even done any of the barleytwist stuff with it yet.   I've been mostly doing pillars/pilasters between centers and indexed plunge work with the stock hold downs and table top.

IMHO, it can kick up your game quite significantly.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

wanted one since the first time i saw it demod at a wood show. i'd buy a used one if i could find one i could afford.

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Frequent Contributor
musky fisherman

Thanks for the info.  I have seen videos of it being used for round work, but I would like to see more of it with flat work.  There was a video showing them making some curved moldings.  Can templates be made out of 1/4" hardboard and how intricate is it on flat work?

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.