Contributor
bking02171

Jet vs. Steel City vs. Grizzly

I'm still weighing my options on which table saw to buy. I'm heavily considering the Jet Proshop but I'm also looking at the Steel City granite hybrid 35925 and the Grizzly Polar Bear G0715P. The Steel City has a lot of features that I like, such as a granite top and built-in casters but I really don't know how long it will last. Grizzly is supposed to be known for (as far as imports go) quality machines and good customer service but I read a review a while back where someone said they couldn't get parts for a discontinued machine. It also comes from the factory wired for 220V and I would have to switch it over. Anyone dealt with Steel City or Grizzly? What do you think?

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Jet vs. Steel City vs. Grizzly

If you wait bit longer, Hardwood Lumber and More will be having sale on Jet and Powermatic tools soon.

Might want to check with Steve (Finishing Forum Host here) as for dates and models.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Senior Advisor
knotscott

Since it's a new saw, it'd be nice if you could get a riving knife...not a deal breaker, but nice to have. The Steel City tools seem well designed for the price overall, but there's a lot of buzz and speculation about uncertainties of their solvency....of course, those concerns were aired more than 5 years ago too, but they're still here. Any isolated stories about Grizzly parts (or any brand) that you've heard don't necessarily translate to a similar experience for you, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that sort of thing....hearing repeated complaints about the same thing should raise a flag. Switching from 220v to 110v could very well be the easiest task you tackle on any given day....no worries. The Jet is a solid saw that offers dealer support if you buy it locally.... without a riving knife it's a somewhat dated design, but not a deal breaker. They're all going to be very capable saws...alignment and blade choice are what determine the end performance. No real advice here...just thinking out loud. Please keep us posted.
"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Honored Advisor
amateur60

[ Edited ]

FRankly, if I were going to buy a saw without a riving knife I wouldn't buy any "new" saw, I'd go for a used cabinet saw.  A 15 year old cabinet saw, such as a Unisaw, will be better made, and more solid (as long as it hasn't been seriously abused, than any of these low to mid price point hybrids.  Unisaw parts are going to be around for a VERY long time. 

Contributor
bking02171

I read other people's postings on other site's that it's only like $200 to have a 220v outlet wired up so maybe a used cabinet saw is the way to go. Well, I have always wanted a Powermatic 66... I'll let you know what I decide.

Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Just a thought...

Steel City is having a large sale.  I don't know if they are going out of business or if they are changing over their product line.  I have a Steel City 5 hp Industrial Cabinet saw.  I haven't regretted buying it yet.

Senior Contributor
rph816

I've dealt with both Grizzly and steel city.  Always had good experience with Grizzly.  With the Steel City, I called to order some parts missing from my saw (I bought it damaged freight) and they said no problem.  Then I waited, called, waited, called, waited.  Finally one day the parts arrived, the invoice said zero so I didn't complain.  While that worked out for me, it's not generally how I like to handle customer service.

I really like some of steel cities stuff and their design is top notch, I just wish they could put forward a better/more consistent corporate face.  Personally, unless you are sold on granite (and there are plenty of pros and cons) I'd go with Grizzly.

Ryan

Contributor
bking02171

Ryan, what are the con's of granite? I've only heard the pro's.

Honored Advisor
amateur60

Granite can break more easily than cast iron.  You can't so easily drill and tap it for fixtures, or to change to a different fence system.   It might even, and you would have to check the specifications for this, give you a bit less cutting capacity, since it might not be able to be as thin as the cast iron in the relevant places. 

Senior Contributor
rph816

The biggest cons I've heard are chipping, mainly around the miter slot and table inserts.  The T-slots are BEGGING to chip out, when you've the miter guage hanging off the table with the metal tabs prying up on 1/4" granite "lips" watch out.  If you do something like that, replace the washer or tabs on the bottom of your miter guage with plastic so the miter guage gives before the granite.  I'm also a little concerned.  If it was THAT great an idea, we'd start seeing it in more companies/applications.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.