Senior Contributor
rondud

Re: Jet Tablesaw motor is toast

David, perhaps you have tried this but if you have oilers on your motor, generously oil both ends.  I have two 1 1/2 HP motors that do just what you say about twice a year.  After I blow them out and re-oil the bearings I'm good to go.

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.
John Adams
Visitor
dukemeister

Dave,

I could have written this.  I also was working in the shop, took a break and when I returned and turned on the saw, the very same thing happened.  I have done everything you have done with the same results.  My motor is currently sitting in a repair shop while I try to figure out how to proceed.  I contacted Jet customer service and they were absolutely no help.  Refused to even tell me who manufactured the motor.  I have made numerous calls to repair shops with no results.  I finally called Leeson and Baldor motor companies and they both told me that Jet Motors are OEM only motors, made to their specs to fit their machines.  Also was told that nobody makes an aftermarket motor so no choice but to buy their motor.  I am now deciding if I want to pay the $548 plus $50-60 freight for a new motor or pay $350-$400 to rewind/rebuild what I have.  I am thinking the latter.  If you come up with any other options I would surely appreciate your sharing as I will do the same.

Good Luck,

Duke

Contributor
David L.

Duke,

Mine is sitting at the repair shop as well.  They performed the initial tests and couldn't figure it out, the tech asked me to leave it for a few days so they could troubleshoot it.  If they figure something out i will let you know.  I was able to figure out that it is a IEC frame not a NEMA, but could not figure out which size it is, it does not seem to match any sizes on the chart.

Dave

Dave
Retired US Navy
Contributor
David L.

Thanks for the reply.  The motor does not have any oil holes.  2 repair shops have taken it apart now and both were confused on what is going on, the current shop thinks it might be a short in the start coil.  they are troubleshooting it now.

Dave

Dave
Retired US Navy
Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

I would modify the mounting system to use a common 145 motor.  It could be as simple as drilling and tapping some new holes, or it might involve making an adapter plate of some type.  If you aren't equipped to do this type of work, any machine shop should be able to help you. 

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools
Contributor
David L.

Ross,

Thanks for your input.  A previous poster stated that he has had to change the pulley's when switching to a NMEA motor for 2 reasons:  the shaft diameter is different and the pulley V shape is different.  A machine shop should be able to adjust the hole, but have you had any experience with the pulley shape being incompatible?

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave
Retired US Navy
Veteran Contributor
BRAZOS RIVER WOODWORKS

On my  post yesterday, I messed up-...My fingers meant to say JB WELD, not the gibberish they said...my bad

Advisor
tomsteve1967

https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

wish i had some help for ya, but all i really have is a link to a place that sells motors at a reasonable price. between a friend and myself, we have bought a few things from them and cant complain.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

Replacement pulleys aren't terribly expensive.  I would be surprised if the belt cross section is non-standard.  It could be, but I would be surprised.  The existing motor pulley can be bushed or bored to fit the new motor shaft and that would eliminate needing to change the arbor pulley or belts.

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools
Visitor
dukemeister

Dave,

I sent my motor to a shop recommended by Jet.  It was a little hole in the wall shop that didn't take any credit or debit cards, cash only.  Anyway, got it back today.  I'm not an expert on motors by any means but I'll try to explain what he said was wrong.  During his testing, he happened to see a very small puff of smoke from the outer part of the windings and was able to locate a short.  He said the power wire that goes through the motor to the far side of the windings didn't have insulation far enough and that contacted the windings and caused the short (the receipt says repaired shorted fields).  He fixed both the problem and the cause and the total bill was $153.  This included new bearings as well as checking, repairing and replacing switches as needed.  He said he sees this occasionally on Jet motors made in Taiwan.  Overall, very happy with his service but still not impressed with Jet customer service.  Maybe this information will assist in locating your problem.

Good Luck,

Duke

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.