Contributor
wooddeals.com1

How to level a drill press

Hello
I need some help in leveling my bench top drill press. I can adjust side to side but there is no adjustment front to rear. So when drilling through a thicker piece of wood the hole on the bottom side is not in the center.
Any suggestions and help is appreciated
Esteemed Advisor
Warped and Twisted

Re: How to level a drill press

Perhaps an auxiliary top shimmed in the front or back until 90* to the bit.

Alaskans for Global Warming

Find more about Weather in Eagle River, AK
Click for weather forecast

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot.. it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Contributor
wooddeals.com1

I have thought about that but not sure how to get it built. Do most drill presses have a front to back adjustment?
Honored Advisor
handy-dan

Right below the bolt you loosen to adjust side there should be a set screw.  Loosening the screw drops the front down, tightening it will raise the front.  Small movements of the screw yields big movement of the table so take care when adjusting.  If there is not a screw shimming is the only option.

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

I can only assume you are talking about the work table and not the base.   What make and model is your drill press?

Frequent Contributor
pat3923220

Is the work tapered in thickness? That would exit the drill off center but not much.

Very small (<3/16") dull drills in thick stock, will exit willy nilly.

What size (length and diameter) drill and what thickness stock?

Drilling down end grain?

Never expect the drill to exit on center no matter what style and sharpness of drill.

Very few drill press tables have 4 way squareness adjustments.

Stuff you must consider for close order drilling.

Esteemed Advisor

[ Edited ]

I'll agree with Handy Dan,   look for a set screw a little below the nut you loosen to tilt the table sideways.  You probably could place a small shim ( tape, foil, etc) between the part that is attached to the column and the table if there is no set screw.    Mine is a cheap drill press but it has the set screw.  

Place a bent piece of wire in the chuck , like a  squared Z shape and rotate by hand to see where the table needs to go.    Roly

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.