Apprentice Visitor
time4net

How to determine which jigsaw blade length?

Hi, guys

I'm finding that the Bosch jigsaw charts are not accurate or I'm not comprehending them - for instance, using a blade # T101B, which is 4" overall length with 3" of teeth, I can cut up to 2 1/16" (with the footplate overshoe in place).

Their chart says that the working length is 3". I don't quite understand that. Hopefully somebody can explain the 15/16" missing difference??

Also, I'll soon need to cut a 3" piece of Basswood (Linden) - so I'm wondering how long a blade I'll actually need - considering that the chart, as mentioned above, is misleading or I'm "no savvy" - any help here?

BTW- jigsaw is the  Bosch 1590 EVS.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: How to determine which jigsaw blade length?

[ Edited ]

Install blade....

Set the saw to top stroke...

Measure what hangs down from the sole...

Subtract 1/4" for orbit mode...

That's the thickness of material you can cut......

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
stick48668

Mike...   Welcome to the forum... I trust you'll find a home here...

and...   Nice choice of saws...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...

Stick....
Advisor
Rrandy

I'll add that for a given brand of blade you can do the above measuring and then compare to the overall length of the blade. Now while you're looking at all the choices in the store you'll have a real good idea if that 4 1/2 inch long blade will cut what you want. Watch out that you don't get a blade that cuts going away from the saw...I still don't know why those are made.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Rrandy wrote:

Watch out that you don't get a blade that cuts going away from the saw...I still don't know why those are made.

Tat blade cuts on the down stroke for making cuts from the top such as a sink cut out in a counter top where any chipping of the laminate would be most unwanted...

DO NOT use that blade in orbit mode...

Stick....
Apprentice Visitor
time4net

Thanks guys,

Stick, is there a specific procedure for "setting for top stroke"? - I don't see reference to that in the manual.

At this moment my blade is hanging  just a little less than 1 1/4" below the protective plate. The blade (4" overall, 3" of teeth) was able to cut up to 2 1/16". So, if I need to cut a 3" piece of Basswood (Linden), apparently I'd need a blade at least 15/16" longer, right? That would mean a blade of overall length 5", since the one that cut the 2 1/16" depth is 4"overall.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again,

Mike

Apprentice Visitor
time4net

...and thanks for the compliment on my choice of saws - I bought it only after doing some serious review searching - such as the 150 reviews on Amazon.com.  The vast majority of the reviewers were right - it's a fantastic saw which I've rarely used. Now I'm into woodcarving, and I'm supposed to have a 14" bandsaw to cut "roughouts", but I don't have the place to put one, and neither do I have the moolah. So, I figured I'll do my best with my Bosch. Just need to clear up the blade length needs.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

time4net wrote:

...and thanks for the compliment on my choice of saws -

no problem....

Since I believe you to be "hogging material" the 101 will do the job (barely) if you go slow and watch for bottoming .... Take the saw out of orbit to do the cuts...  Cut too slow and it'll be "SNIFF" "SNIFF"  What's that smell???

I think the T234X or the T234XF would be a way better choice...

Setting to top stroke is nothing more than when the saw is at it's top stroke....

As a rule of thumb - at least 1" of blade will always be above the sole...

When the blade is at the bottom of it's stroke, the amount of exposed blade less 1/4" is all you get to use....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
stick48668

come to think of it there is a T344 series...

Those babies will reach out there...

There's a 744, with that one you'll be able to cut that wood from next door...

You do could this mission well with a T345XF....

All these alternate numbers are in case yur supplier doesen't have one in particular you still have a plan B...

BTW, I never use the protective plate unless the saw is resting on a final finished product...

Stick....
Apprentice Visitor
time4net

Many thanks, Stick .

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.