Apprentice Visitor
williamson76831

Hook and Loop -vs- PSA

I need a new 5" random orbit sander but I can only find hook and loop sanders.   I prefer to PSA for a number of reasons but mostly because of cost. 
Do any manufacturers still make a good sander designed for PSA?

Or as an alternative, is there a good permanent conversion kit to change a sander from hook and loop to PSA?

Thanks

Dave in Ohio

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Re: Hook and Loop -vs- PSA

[ Edited ]

I have two sanders, a DeWalt and a PC that both came with hook & loop. I bought a psa pad at my local PC service center so I can use both. If I had only one I would go with the PSA mostly for the cost. I've heard good things about the Ridgid but don't know if you can get a PSA pad for it. I'm happy with the two I have.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Honored Advisor
JL North GA

Porter Cable does have a few PSA models - I believe the PC 7345 is a PSA model.

Look around (Amazon for instance) - you'll find some PSA ROS out there.

Honored Advisor
RussBoyd

I am interested in your reasons why you would prefer PSA . I can't imagine anything other than cost which isn't much when you consider that once it flies off the sander, it's unusable except for hand sanding. Are there other reasons I am missing? I am truly interested and NOT trying to be a smart alec.

"If you can't hide it...advertise it!"
Honored Advisor
handy-dan

I like the PSA because the disc is mounted firmly to the pad and you get the real action from the sander.  Right or wrong "I feel" you lose some of the sanding action because the connection for hook and loop is a looser fit. 

Dan

Dan
Youngstown, Oh
Apprentice Member
thedexters

I have a 5" Bosch that has psa pad or hook and loop that fits it and I like PSA because when it flies off and if it isn't worn out I can spray adhesive to that piece of sand paper and stick it back on, wait 5 minutes and use that piece for a long time as long as I am not pressing too hard.

Advisor
Rrandy

A friend of mine swears that the H&L will not sand as flat as the PSA type. I suppose it the piece is small enough that the sander goes past the edge a lot this may be an issue but I've not experienced that problem. Well a few times but I was sanding the end of some stuffpieces and didn't care. I think any rounding there was as much my fault for not having the ability to hold something in one hand square with the other while moving around. I have an older 1/4 sheet palm sander that uses PSA and it hardly sees use just because I like the ability to change quickly from one grit to the next that H&L affords. 

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

RussBoyd wrote:

I am interested in your reasons why you would prefer PSA . I can't imagine anything other than cost which isn't much when you consider that once it flies off the sander, it's unusable except for hand sanding. Are there other reasons I am missing? I am truly interested and NOT trying to be a smart alec.

I find that the selection of abrasives is better with PSA. I often use ultra fine paper used for polishing Corian and acrylics and it is only available in PSA.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Contributor
JimG.

I agree that H&L does not sand as flat as PSA. This is particulary noticable on woods such as pine where there is hard and soft grain caused by seasonal growth changes in the wood. The H&L disks will tend to sand the soft wood more agressively leaving a hollow spot between the areas of hard grain.

Honored Advisor
stick48668

RussBoyd wrote:

Economics...

Quality PSA will stay put and when you do a large sanding job the results show...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.