Veteran Contributor
Freznel

Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" lathe problem

So I have had the Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" lathe for a little over 2 years and the bearings just started to click.  I called Grizzly and they sent me a new set.  The problem that I am running into is that I can't seem to remove the front bearing off of the headstock spindle.  I have already disassembled the headstock, removed the drive pully, and took the spindle and front bearing out of the casting after separating the rear bearing from the shaft.  The retaining ring has already been removed as well.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the old front bearing of the spindal?

Thanks for the Help!

Mike
Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Grizzly H8259 10" x 18" lathe problem

Bearing pullers....

the styles and types of them that are available are staggering....

Bearing pullers and more bearing pullers....

there are even tools to set the bearings...

or you could warm up the bearing and then introduce it to blunt force trama with a mallet and wooden punches/drives......

use a fuzz of never sieze when you put it back together...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Contributor
Freznel

I ran over to the store and picked up a blow torch.  I heated the bearing and gave it a few wacks and it didn't budge.  I heated again and same thing.  I the desided that since I watched this program on the history channel about making knifes and they quenched the metal to srink it, it was worth a shot.  Heated the bearings, dumped the shaft and bearings into water, four hits and the bearing was off.  now to freeze the shaft to allow it to slip onto the bearings...

Mike
Honored Advisor
stick48668

you may change the temper of things and end up going where you don't need too...

polish the shaft and install the new bearings using never seize...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Veteran Contributor
Freznel

Got it re-assembled and everything is fine.  A little WD-40 on the shaft after I put it into the ice box and the bearing went on went on with some light tapping.

Mike
Senior Contributor
dbgessner

When I had a bearing that was being overbearing, I took a trip to NAPA and they allowed me to use their H frame press.  That was THE way to go.  In the future I would avoid heat and quench unless you have no other options.  Bearings are better removed with jaw pullers and presses once everything is secured in place.

And whatever you do, don't reduce the shaft diameter by wire wheeling, sanding or polishing with abrasive compounds.  It may look shiny, but you may have just created enough play to render that shaft a trouble spot in the future.  Trust me, I did that and now preach to others that a good chemical wipe down is better than a mechanical removal.

David

Veteran Contributor
Freznel

When I said I used a torch, it was only to put a little heat into the bearings.  Nothing was glowing and everything was able to be touched with tender fingures.  The freezer trick is done in industry and works great.  No need for a puller or press if you build a simple jig and use a rubber mallet.  A pain in the butt thing to need to do, but well worth the time to do it.  It took about 2 hours since I needed to wait on the parts to cool or heat depending.

Mike

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.