Senior Advisor
firejohn
Accepted Solution

Freud FT2200 Bites It

Kinda cheesed off here.  I replaced my nine year old Freud FT2000 in November, 2009, because the speed control went south and could not be repaired or replaced.  I got a factory reconditioned FT2200 so I could continue to use the fairly pricey Woodpecker PlungerLift plate I have.  So today, I went to adjust the speed for the bit I was going to use and the (expletives) thumbwheel falls off and into the case.  I opened it up and find that the TINY hollow plastic stem for it has snapped from the inside of the wheel.  No way it can be reattached.

This router was made in 2007, according to the case label, and it's not like that wheel gets abused hanging upside down in my router table.  I've sent an e-mail to Freud looking for info on replacing the control module, if it's even available.  If they come back with NOT AVAILABLE again,  I won't be shopping for another Freud.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Re: Freud FT2200 Bites It

Can you hot wire it to run on high? If so get one of those external speed controls, sux to have to do that but at least you can squeeze your last nickel out of it.

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Senior Advisor
firejohn

Probably could do that, if the module isn't available, and run it until flames shoot out of it.  But, other than poor design/molding techniques, there's no reason that thumbwheel should have broken like it did.  A one inch diameter plastic wheel that rotates on a molded-in stem less than a 1/16" in diameter (and is hollow). 

I was able to grasp the broken end of the stem with my fingernails and set the speed to about where I thought it should be to make the one cut I needed.

Senior Advisor
firejohn

Replacement module has been ordered from Freud.  Darn thing is almost 20% of the cost of a new router.

Senior Advisor
firejohn

Replacement module was received and installed.  The FT2200 rides again.

Esteemed Advisor
john880

On the new one. Could a person fill those hollow stems with super glue tto make them stronger ?

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Senior Advisor
firejohn

It's so tiny, getting it in there would be difficult.  It's just a poor design.  When this one goes, I'm thinking of going to the PC 7513 and a new lift plate.  In for a penny, in for the whole enchilada.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Maybe John 880 has a good idea, does it look like if you lather up a straight paper clip with crazy glue, you can slide it in?

Don't ask advice on federal firearms law from people on the internet unless you like jail food.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Senior Advisor
firejohn

I'll have to go out and look at the old one.  The hole in the rotating knob is big enough (it's sitting on my desk), but I'm not sure if the stem is the same.  Even if the core was filled, the outside of the stem is molded with a right angle, no relief radius and the overall plastic is thin, so it's a fracture origination point waiting to happen.  And I know I didn't reef on it while changing speeds.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.