Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

Drill Press selection

I am looking to purchase. The store has a Delta 16.5 and a Porter-Cable 15. Is one more desirable than the other?

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: Drill Press selection

what are you planning on drilling?  how many speeds on each to handle different bit sizes?  Chuck size same on both?  You want to use it for a spindle sander if you don't have one already? 

Advisor
Rrandy

I would go for the one with the longer quill travel and if both are the same it would come down to price for me. If you can, take a piece of barstock or a longer drill bit that is known to be straight and chuck it up and spin the chuck as best as you can and watch for wobble. Last, which one has the stronger motor. I'm sure there are others with more knowledge than me on selecting a DP but this is what I'd look at.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
sweensdv

[ Edited ]

The only feature on my drill press that I've ever found lacking is the distance of the spindle travel.  There has been more than a few occasions where I wished it had been greater than it is.  If wood is all you plan on using your DP for than almost any DP can drill holes in wood.  How deep you can bore those holes will vary from one DP to another.  Get the one with the longest spindle travel.

EDIT: Rrandy types faster than I do.:smileyvery-happy:

Dave
Veteran Advisor
Ted in Michigan

+3 Brandy & Sweedsdy re Spindle travel.

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Veteran Advisor
Gary K.

Well, I'll be the contrary one.  I think quill travel is highly over-rated. I cannot remember a time when I wished I could drill a deeper hole.

That being said, my criteria for my next drill press will be a woodworker orientated table and a variable speed. When I am in a hurry...it can be a pain to change those pulley belts.

Keedy

" Anyone who isn't confused here, doesn't really know what's going on."

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure. People tell me I'm argumentative, but I beg to differ. All I know is it's bad luck to be superstitious.

Veteran Contributor
kplywood1

To all that replied, thank you for your thoughts. I decided on the Delta 17-960L. Now because it was on display for 3 years., I'll need to contact Delta for components like the Toggle key and chuck. Again thanks for your insights, which were most helpful. Kris

If your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly
Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

You can get a better chuck a lot of places than Delta.  All you need to know is the taper, then check on-line places and eBay for a good Jacobs chuck.

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.