Frequent Contributor
tom d. lewis

DeWalt 7730

I just bought a DeWalt 7730 radial arm saw for $75.  Needs a new table and fence, and has some surface rust where the arm slides (is this called the "ways"?), but all in all doesn't look too bad.  Any comments?  Did I just buy a $75 anchor, or should this work out OK?  Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: DeWalt 7730

looks like a decent machine....can't really tell you more as i don't have one.  pick up a manual here and you should be ready to go.  rebuilding the table and fence should be a piece of cake.  pick up a sheet of 3/4 MDF and double it up and you should be all set with a little cleaning and adjustment.

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

I am not a big fan of the RAS but I did alot of complicated angle work on one in my working days on a concrete hi rise building. Properly tuned and adjusted you can do alot with them. Some people use them for their main machine and turn out some fine work. If all you need is a table and fence you did OK for 75 bucks. If I wanted one it would have to be a DeWalt.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Senior Advisor
fredhargis

The "ways" are the grooves the carriage bearings ride in. I'm not sure how the newer Dewalts like yours are built, but the older ones had 4 horizontally mounted bearings that carried the carriage back/forth, they rode in the ways. In the front left of the pic below, you;ll see the top of a carriage that has the bearings in palce (this was an older MBF I rebuilt). The saw you have should be a servecable saw, but generally the Dewalts with solid cast iron arms are the ones folks look for. I think the 7730 has a cover that conceals a ladder-box type of arm construction. Nevertheless, it should still have the miter locking arrangement which makes the Dewalts so accurate. Properly tuned, that saw should serve you well.

disassembled 1sm.jpg

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

You didn't get took, the 7730 Powershop harkens from the '80's and is a good machine.

Manual

More discussion on the R.A.S. here.

Politicians like to panic. It's their substitute for achievement. - Sir Humphrey Appleby

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Fred, that is a NICE restoration of your MBF! I'm working on one from 1956, the carriage bearings are a bit "clicky and sticky", but I think they can be brought back, at least others have been able to. What paint schedule did you use? It looks better than new.

Politicians like to panic. It's their substitute for achievement. - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Senior Advisor
fredhargis

[ Edited ]

hankm wrote:

Fred, that is a NICE restoration of your MBF! I'm working on one from 1956, the carriage bearings are a bit "clicky and sticky", but I think they can be brought back, at least others have been able to. What paint schedule did you use? It looks better than new.

Hank,

Sorry to take so long to reply to this, but I had to go find out what paint it was. Anyway, this saw is also a '56, and I had to replace 2 of the carriage bearings...the other 2 were salvageable. I stripped all the old paint (wire brush, mostly) and primed the cast iron pieces...then the green is a Rust-Oleum product. It's their "Multicolored Textured" Line, and this color is "Sea Green". This paint actually has a rough surface and speckles of white in it, it does resemble the original Dewalt color...though if you see them side-by-side there is quite a bit of difference.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Frequent Contributor
tom d. lewis

Thanks for all the support everyone.  This will be my first attempt at fixing up an old tool, so it will be an interestng experience.  I will take some before and after pictures and post them when I get done.

Esteemed Advisor
hankm

Thanks for the info Fred, I think I'm gonna go with that. Mine was missing the kickback pawl- but that's an opportunity to shopmake it, the nozzle was mush, replaced it with part of a Gates radiator hose, and am currently cooking the bearings to try and rejuvenate them: http://community.woodmagazine.com/t5/Top-Shop-Tips/Solar-Cooking-Bearings/td-p/226371

Sorry Tom, didn't mean to hijack your post, Fred did an awesome job on his saw restoration and I just had to know what he used.

Apprentice Visitor
glynnhumphrey1

Order a book from Mr.Sawdust. It will give you a history lesson of the old DeWalts, and help you keep your saw in adjustment.

Thanks
Glynn

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.