Advisor
Rrandy

DeWalt 735 Planer Problems

Well after 5 years my planer quit on me. The rollers were'nt moving and that was because the sprockets on the left side from the infeed were both broke. Why I wondered. Further digging reveals the outfeed roller is stuck and won't turn. Why I wondered. Ain't figured that out yet. Anyone have a similar problem? I'll post what I find but getting that rascal out takes a bit longer and my cuss jar is calling me and I'm broke.LOL I don't know how to post pics but if I find anything pic worthy I'll figure it out then. More to come.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

Re: DeWalt 735 Planer Problems

I am not familiar with this particular planer, but could it have a bearing frozen on the outfeed roller? Others will chime in I am sure. Hope it is a simple, inexpensive fix!

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!
Advisor
Rrandy

Well the problem appears to have started in the right side outfeed roller bushing. It was frozen to the roller shaft. A shot of WD-40 freed it right up. There was an almost black substance in there and I can only guess it was wood dust and or grease. I cleaned everything and hit the bushing and shaft with some 600 grit sand paper and everything turns free and easy. The new sprockets will be in by wednesday and hopefully be good as new. That's not a high speed bushing so it must have been dust. I'm no expert on this machinery but all looks fairly heavy duty, just kinda awkward to get to those bushings.

Contributor
groundsman

This might help you in the furture, after each use I vacum my Dewalt 735 out, I also have a 2" paint brush and work it in the corners, yes it takes a couple of minutes, but as you just found out it saves downtime and money.These Toys we buy are expensive and a little PM goes a long way, I can not afford not to clean my equipment after each use, if you get into the habit you will not have the break downs as much. I do not mean to preach but it works. Dave

Advisor
Rrandy

I'm thinking there must have been a dab of assembly grease or something there to attract the dust. I usually give at least a cursory blow down with the air hose after each use and try for a better cleaning after a long period of use. The gears are only 3 bucks apiece so I guess they were designed to break and save the rest of the machine. Sad part is there's no way to easily check the rollers for free operation.

Senior Contributor
hatuffej

Hi Dave

You aren't preaching. I've learned it is far better to take care of tools to prolong their life than to repair them after failure.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.