Senior Contributor
Lots of Dust

Black & Decker Radial arm Saw

Can anyone tell me about this saw? Is it worth $50.00 to me or am I going to fight it all the time?

Thanks

Lots of DustPicture 2.jpg

Dust Dust Dust it's everywhere!!!!
Senior Contributor
My Old Tools

Re: Black & Decker Radial arm Saw

I have used other B&D radial arm saws that were fine, but not that one. 

Ross Canant
Wood Online Forum Host
Specialty: Vintage Tools
Advisor
handyman john

looks like an 8" saw to me. I sold my 8" Ryobi back to the company for $50 on their recall. Glad I did.

8" is too small unless you are setting it up to specifically cut picture frames or similar. Tune the saw and dedicate it to ONE TASK and its okay. Otherwise don't waste the $50

step one; understand the problem - the correct answer will follow
Frequent Contributor
Eric Brigham

Assuming you're ok with the small blade, I will say that you should check it over thoroughly since Black and Decker is one of those medium-to-cheep quality brands.  I have some of their highest quality tools, and they are fine.  But even those don't match what a better brand (and yes, at a higher price) will give you: Better tool and customer service.  Brands like B&D claim to have a customer service, but from experience, I would call it false advertising.  So, with that RAS I would check for things like play, i.e. Does the blade or the arm, or anything else that moves, wobble side to side or in any directions you wouldn't want it to?  And as for your "am I going to fight it all the time" question...take some scraps of wood that you would be using it for and test it out yourself (after doing a quick safety check, unless you would trust the owner with your life).  Other than that...if it fits your needs and is not going to be needed for much hard and continuous work, it's probably ok.

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

The only other real point of interest (and a lot of folks consider these dangerous no matter what), is that you should always get the model number and just do a general internet search for "so-and-so model number problems" and things like that.  it's amazing how much info is out there about things no longer in production.

Advisor
gruhe

Years ago I had one of those.  A real piece of junk - would not stay in alignment and the construction and materials were of very poor quality.  Not worth the price of gas to go pick it up.

Greg

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Senior Contributor
grumpyoldbill

It appears to pretty light duty or what I would call Mickey Mouse. Also the blade is inadequately guarded IMHO. If it were my $50 I would pass and look further.

Senior Contributor
wayne h tinker

The first thing I notice is where the cord comes just behind the saw teeth.

It looks like it is designed that way and nt just by accident.

looks like a bummer to me as nothing else about the saw looks to be more than very minimum quality

Tinker

Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

wayne h tinker wrote:

The first thing I notice is where the cord comes just behind the saw teeth.

It looks like it is designed that way and nt just by accident.

looks like a bummer to me as nothing else about the saw looks to be more than very minimum quality

Tinker

I didn't notice that first, but I did see the stamped steel carriage holding the motor. I'd pass on it.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Is there a particular work, or a reason why you need this type of saw?

I'd say for a light work like picture frames and to cut molding... may serve it's purpose.

How often will you use it?

That will determine if $50 is worth spending.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.