Veteran Contributor
isptpr

Biscuit Jointer Review

Anybody know if the magazine has done a review on biscuit jointers recently?  Issue number?  Who knew turning 30 would still net me some birthday cash for tools?  A biscuit jointer is next on my list so I'm looking for some guidance.  Thanks!

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

Re: Biscuit Jointer Review

I haven't seen a review on biscuit jointers in many years. 

The last ones I saw left things somewhat of a draw between the DW and the PC557 if memory serves.  I seem to recall that they liked the DW's results a tad better, but the ability to swap out to the FF (face frame) size cutter - and thus also being able to use the FF-sized biscuits - gave the PC557 high marks, as well.

I've got the 557 and am pretty happy with it.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

I did a "Google" seach for "Biscuit Joiner Reviews" and found a number of things. Here are 2 of them for you.

http://www.woodnet.net/plansnow/review-platejointer2.pdf

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/Tool-Guide/Product-Finder/Biscuit-Joiners/91196.aspx?channel=1

The first one was from 2002

The second one I do not know, but it appears to be more recent than that.

I personally have the Dewalt biscuit joiner and it has done fine by me. But I have only used it for straight work and no angles and have not used anything but the standard biscuits with the original cutter. Since I started using pocket screws, my Biscuit Joiner use has cut back, but it still is my go to tool when necessary. I also have a biscuit cutter bit for my router/table which is good as well if I have to make a continuous slot.

Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Senior Contributor
Old Woodie

If don't already have a pocket hole jig, I would get a Kreg set before I would a biscuit joiner. I am like Allen, I don't use my  biscuit joiner very often any more since getting the Kreg unit.

It's not worth it to dwell on things that are not worth it!
Veteran Contributor
isptpr

Thanks for the replies guys.  I do have the Kreg pocket hole set-up which is great, but am in need of a biscuit cutter these days.  Thanks for the tips and opinions.  I found a PC on sale at my local Menards so tonight I have a new toy..er, tool to play with.  Feel like a kid on Christmas!  Thanks again.

Apprentice Contributor
roses MI

Biscuit Jointer Review

Hi.

The review you are looking for is in Fine Woodworking, Issue 151, pgs 58-63.  A good article on the tools basic use is in Issue 165, pgs 66-71.  Don't use the fence provided, use only the base of the tool as a guide.

Paul

Apprentice Visitor
PieterPlopp

This is the best place for Biscuit Joiner Reviews

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

WOOD magazine did do a recent review of some of the more popular models in the world of biscuit jointers, and I got to do the testing.

My testing revealed some obvious things... and some not so obvious things.   The two machines that came out on top were head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, and the machines at the bottom exhibited some truly ugly symptoms.

For the full review and the skinny on what made them 'good' versus 'bad, check ouut issue 205, July of 2011 at page 38.   Or click HERE for an abbreviated summary of what we found.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Advisor
firejohn

Cool!  I bought the Dewalt a while back at a "going out of business" sale and when I need to use it, I like it.

Honored Advisor
amateur60

Biscuit joiners are a bit like Radial Arm Saws.  Only good models are worth having.  Frankly I think the DeWalt and the Porter Cable are just minimally acceptable.  Since I'd use cauls and a rubber hammer to align edge joints instead of either of those machines. 

If you really want to use biscuit joinery in quality work you need to think Lamello.  Or, migrate to the Festool Domino--it will be cheaper. 

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.