Apprentice Member
frankhl

Best belt/disc sander

I am in the process of researching what is the best bench top belt/disc sander. Does any one has any input from experience on what brand is the best or a good source to look at.

Honored Advisor
ynoT

Re: Best belt/disc sander

For the money and warranty that comes with it, the Ridgid sounds like a good deal.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Honored Advisor
-Paladin-

I have a Delta 12" disk, 6x48 belt, absolutely rock solid.

Although Grizzly make some fine tools this is one they have not upgraded yet, I went and had a good look at it. It is significantly cheaper than the Delta, but even at that it is over priced for what you get.

~PALADIN~
Wood'nBoats&Stuff
Senior Contributor
jimmicarter

I had a Jet 6x48 bench top belt-disk sander for several years. Never could keep the tracking of the belt correct. It would change day to day. Some days it would track ok and then other times the belt would track off the rollers. Tried different belts and different tension settings, all to no avail. Grizzly, and Woodtek sell the same looking sander to me as the Jet. I finally got tired of it and got a Powermatic 31A cabinet model. Like daylight and dark on performance of the Powermatic vs the Jet.

Jim

Tyler Tx

Senior Contributor
sweensdv

I really like my Hitachi SB10Y1.  It has plenty of power and the dust collection is also very good.

Dave
Advisor
Rrandy

I used a Ryobi 6" disk/4"x36" belt for 5 years and then the switch burned out. I was in the middle of a project on a Friday night so I wound up buying a Sears to replace it. I have a switch on order. The Sears model doesn't collect dust too good and is fiddlesome to change the disk. For a low end model the Ryobi is my choice. It saw a lot of use and until the switch burned out at the worst time it never gave me trouble. I bent a piece of 3/4" x 3/16" strap to 90 degrees, drilled some holes and mounted a 4" piece of green plastic pipe to one leg and the other mounted in place of the stock DC piece. I was able to hook my shop DC to it and it worked great. I couldn't do anything like that to the Sears.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Advisor
tomsteve1967

currently using a crapsman 4 by 36/ 6" disc and sure would like to throw it out and upgrade to a real one.

no matter what i build or how many times i build it, it's all practice.
Senior Advisor
Jon439

I have the Rikon 50-120, 6X48 belt and 10 inch disk. The first problem I had with it was I kept forgetting to connect up the vacuum to the dust port, and I put dust all over the shop. The second problem is that it is H E A V Y! You don't just pick it up and move it from cabinet to table. I use a rolling cabinet for it.

Jon-439

Do nudists play strip poker?
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Forgot to mention, I did get Sears 6x48 and 10" disk sander. It was refurbished but with full warranty, so it came with ridiculous price... more than 50% off. Works just fine.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Frequent Contributor
Vibart2

I've had the Grizzly G1014Z for several years back when they only cost $200.; It has performed just fine.

Remember just because a tool by say Jet or Grizzly doesn't work properly doesn't mean that every combination sander by that manufacturer is not going to work properly. You have days when you get out of bed & thing are not physically good for you either does this mean we should take you behind the barn & shoot you & your off spring.

A1 myshop 110.jpg

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.