Veteran Contributor
skunnmann.ee74

Best Router for a Router Table?

I am looking for advise for the best router for exclusively router table work.  What do you think the main factors are?  Power?  Ease of Adjustment?  I have a Woodhaven Router table, Incra Jig fence, not router lift yet.

Thoughts?  This is not a buy it this weekend decision, but a couple months down the line, so I want to do it right.

Steve

Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

Re: Best Router for a Router Table?

For a long time, it seemd the de-facto standard for routers in a table was the PC 7518. My guess is the Milwaukee 5625 will replace it as the standard. But consider the 5625 for a different reason. It has the built in through-the-base adjustment, making a router list unnecassary (big bucks saved) and has all the power you will ever need.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Honored Advisor
ynoT

Have you checked with Incra on their router lift and Magnalock plate?

That will also tell you what router will work. Talk to Mark. He's great at helping out.

Woodpecker has many lift for different routers.

I'm using Bosch 1617VS 2.25 horse and it's just great. It does allow for above table bit changes.

Plenty of muscle and speed to run anything.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

Steve - Variable speed is a must for reducing RPMs on the big bits.  Big power is always nice in a router table, especially if you'll be doing lots of raised panels or other power hungry bullwork.  I have a Milwaukee 5625 for those times...it's a very stout tool with a 15 amp motor.  It does have above table height adjustment, but not much else in the way of above table features. 

More often than not, I'm doing less power hungry tasks on my router table, so I tend to use my Freud FT1700 that's loaded with above table goodies...it has an ample 13 amp motor, a spindle that protrudes above table for easy one handed above table bit changes, above table height adjust, above table height lock, and an auto collet lock.  It's still powerful enough for occasional raised panels.  The Freud FT3000 has the same features with a plunge base and a 15 amp motor.  The bigger motor will survive longer under heavy load. 

I've also used a Makita 3612, Freud FT2000, and a Bosch 1619 in a table....all solid choices, but note that the FT2000/FT2200 has a smaller throat opening that requires modification or a work around if you spin large bits.

Here's a link to Wood's "Monster Router" comparison.

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Veteran Advisor
Allen Worsham

Asking for "the best router for router table use" is opening a can of works as us woodworkers are an opinionated bunch. But in this case, there are a lot of good routers out there for table use in PC, Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee, Freud and others. I got the Freud FT3000 this year for dedicated table use and absolutly love it. Through the table height adjustment, one hand bit changing, soft start, 3+hp and it's red (all Ferraris are red regardless of color). Every time I fire it up I get a little smile on my face. The only thing that I have any complaint about is that the "through the table height adjustment rod" has a knurled round handle which is great for minor adjustments but takes a lot of turns to bring your router up all the way for bit changes. A crank handle would make more sense to me, but it is what it is. I keep telling myself that I will make one but haven't as of yet.
Allen Worsham, Corona, CA

allenworsham@gmail.com

"Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk."

J.V. McGee
Veteran Contributor
skunnmann.ee74

Quote:  Asking for "the best router for router table use" is opening a can of works as us woodworkers are an opinionated bunch"

I knew that going in Allen.  But I think that is the value in these forums, hearing and evaluating everyone's opinions and counter-opinions.

Thanks.

Steve

Contributor
poseyj1

Hey Tony,

I just got a Bosch 1617EVS too.

Know where's a good site for attachments like dust extractors, inlay kits,etc.?

Thanks

Jerry P

Veteran Advisor
grandpabear

Steve, i'm a dedicated router user. i'm going to see if a new operation can be done on the router table first. i'm also a dedicated bosch 1617evs multi-base kind of guy. the adjuster for above the table adjustments is fine for small incremental adjustments and a crank is a worthwhile addition. that is my recommendation. 

Whittier CA
THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL IS THE ONE YOU ARE USING
Honored Advisor
ynoT

poseyj1 wrote:

Hey Tony,

I just got a Bosch 1617EVS too.

Know where's a good site for attachments like dust extractors, inlay kits,etc.?

Thanks

Jerry P

I got all of mine at the same time on Amazon. By doing that I was able to apply for additional discount thus some items I bought came in free.

I did get an additional router at Bosch CPO, remunerated but with original warranty and much less cost wise.

So now I have one dedicated table router, one plunge and one regular router. Makes it easier than swapping bits all the time.

Other than Amazon you may want to try places that carry Bosch equipment. Plug the word into Google search and see what comes up. There should be some good deals 'cause everyone wants to start new year on good note.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Contributor
poseyj1

I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info!

Jerry P.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.