Apprentice Member
doug072000

Best 12 inch blade for sliding miter saw

Hello, 

I am looking for recommendation for a 12 inch blade for my Milwaukee sliding miter saw.

Thanks Doug

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Best 12 inch blade for sliding miter saw

same saw here with a Fred LU91...

'nuff said...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Senior Advisor
knotscott

For a slider, the blade should have a fairly low to negative hook angle....no more than maybe +7°.   Also, since it's 12" and is for crosscutting only, I'd stick with 1/8" full kerf....12" is a very wide span for a 3/32" thin kerf blade, and crosscutting doesn't pose the power challenges that ripping does, so there's less incentive to use a TK.  

"Best" is always an elusive term, depending on your objectives.  Best bang for the buck has got to be the German made Onsrud blades being closed out on Ebay...$26 shipped.  Infinity makes some of the best peforming blades I've used, and their pricing is reasonable.  The Forrest Chopmaster or Duraline are always excellent, but pricey.  CMT Industrial also offers some good choices. 

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Honored Advisor
stick48668

+7???

should that be -7???

-5 seems to work well...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...

Stick....
Senior Advisor
knotscott

[ Edited ]

stick48668 wrote:

+7???

should that be -7???

-5 seems to work well...

knotscott wrote:

For a slider, the blade should have a fairly low to negative hook angle....no more than maybe +7°....   

A negative hook angle is good, a low positive hook angle is also fine...it doesn't have to be negative, but a steep positive hook angle is not recommended.  It's an approximation , but +7° is about the most rake I'd suggest.  There several good SCMS blades on the market with a slightly positive hook.

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Apprentice Member
doug072000

hello,

Thanks for the information. I will wait a few more days and see if any other suggestions come forward and then make a decision.

Thanks agin

Doug

Honored Advisor
stick48668

knotscott wrote:

stick48668 wrote:

+7???

should that be -7???

-5 seems to work well...

knotscott wrote:

For a slider, the blade should have a fairly low to negative hook angle....no more than maybe +7°....   

A negative hook angle is good, a low positive hook angle is also fine...it doesn't have to be negative, but a steep positive hook angle is not recommended.  It's an approximation , but +7° is about the most rake I'd suggest.  There several good SCMS blades on the market with a slightly positive hook.

note to self..

improve reading comprehension skills...

got it...

thanks...

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.