Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Band saw pulley

I recently bought a Delta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw from the early 80's. I bought the machine only, no motor. I have a 1hp 1750 motor for it. My question is what size pulley should I run on the motor to get the right blade speed for general woodcutting. The pulley that came on the saw is 6".

Thanks,

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: Band saw pulley

I can't tell you the pulley size Joe, but you can try looking HERE .

Good Luck

Rick

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Honored Advisor
ynoT

The larger motor should deliver same speed. It's just stronger so it wont bog down on you.

I'd call Delta and enquire about this. They might be able to provide you with an answer.

Tony

"Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you."
Advisor
Rrandy

For a sawblade speed of about 3100 feet per minute you'll need a 3 inch drive pulley with the 6 inch saw pulley. I'm not sure if that's the proper speed but it ought to be close. A 2 inch pulley will turn around 2050 feet per minute.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Advisor
Rrandy

My Grizzly saw has 3000 FPM on the label so...and my math shows a 2.5 inch pulley on the motor will yield about 2700 FPM....me, I'd go the 3 inch pulley on the motor and make sawdust. Someone else may jump in with better advice.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Frequent Contributor
cannon84

My 14 inch Rockwell/Delta 28-243 has a 6 inch pulley on the saw and a 2 3/4 pulley on the 3/4 hp motor. I bought this saw used but I think it is the orginal set-up. Does yours look like this?

Cannon000_0153.jpg

Frequent Contributor
cannon84

Here is a chart.

http://www.owwm.com/math/sfpm.aspx

Cannon

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Thank you all for your input. After looking at all the recommended sizes I think I will try a 3" for starters. Cannon 84, thanks for the chart and photo. Mine is a little older, a 28-200 and the only difference is the upper and lower covers remove with two knobs as opposed to being hinged.

thanks,

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.