Senior Reader
Agedwirehead

Anybody know what happened to this line of tools?

I have used just about every screw drill and countersink made over the last 50 years.  My very most favorite is a drill bit brand "Circle.sink" by Norfolk Products Corp., Norfolk, Conn., USA.  I include a picture.  There are marks at 1/8 inch intervals to easily gage countersink depth, but the bevel for the flat-head screw is counterintuitive, as it cuts it "backwards".   What is great about them is that there are no adjustments.  One bit, one screw size.   There are no spots to get clogged with dust; no set screws that come loose or get lost.  They are well-balanced and have nothing flying around to mar my work.  They are easy to dress, if that is ever necessary.  They are as easy to use as a pocket hole drill.  And, as shown, they offered a perfectly matched plug cutter.

The picture shows my #10 by 1-inch bit that I use to attach drawer fronts to the drawer box.

I don't know about you, but I usually use one size screw on a project.  I chuck up one of these in my drill and use a separate driver.  Assembly is fast, accurate, and pleasant.circlesink.jpeg

So what ever happened to "Norfolk Products Corp"?  Does someone make non-adjustable screw bits?  Can anyone get a little less smart and make more of these?

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Re: Anybody know what happened to this line of tools?

[ Edited ]

Last thing I found after a quick search through Google was a reference in Popular Mechanics Jan '69

norfolk.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if they got bought up by some larger company like Stanley.  Their address in Winsted was Eno Hill. 

Senior Reader
Agedwirehead

Re: Anybody know what happened to this line of tools?

Good find.  Thank you.  I did find a reference in an old Popular Mechanics article in the early '60s where they had a summary  of screw bits, but there was no company information with it.  I bought these years ago at an old-time hardware store and lumber yard in Little Rock, Arkansas, named Kraftco.  Kraftco was still there earlier this year, but they have none of these left in stock.  I think I remember clearing them out back in the '70s.  I believe they got all of their tools from Belknap Distributors in Tennessee.

Actually, I just hope someone like Lee Valley / Veritas or Kreg decides to do one of their great re-interpretaion efforts on this product and come out with a quality set I can buy.  I have lost several over the years, and I would love to buy a new set.  Kreg could make one that only worked with screws they sell.  Seems like a winning proposition if they demonstrate them at a show or two.

Looks from what you found Norfolk Products had a competitive product to the Vix bit, another tool I am very fond of that has saved me countless hours over the years.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.