Apprentice Contributor
Tenderfoot Bob

ADJUSTMENTS FOR DEWALT DW735 THICKNESS PLANER

I am fine-tuning my Dewalt 735 thickness planer so that I can build a credenza for a friend, made almost entirely of highly figured curly maple (“luthier quality”). Obviously, the thickness planer needs to be tuned as good as I can get it.

I have studied John White’s Care and Repair of Shop Machines (Taunton Books) and its chapter on thickness planers and want to make the following adjustments:

1)     Align cutter heads with the table (knives are not adjustable on the DW735);

2)     Adjust infeed/outfeed roller heights to be parallel to the table;

3)     Adjust infeed/outfeed roller heights relative to the arc of the knives;

4)     Adjust space between chip-breaker and cutter head; and

5)     Adjust space between pressure bar and cutter head

Dewalt’s very short DW735 manual provides no assistance on any of the above; and their web-site provides no help-line either via e-mail or phone.

It would be hard to believe that none of the above adjustments can be made.

Any help would I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Tenderfoot Bob

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: ADJUSTMENTS FOR DEWALT DW735 THICKNESS PLANER

First of all, welcome aboard Bob. Hope you'll be a regular. Now on to your questions. The first thing I did was to look up the book you are referring to. Mainly to see how old it was (almost 10 years). With it being as old as it is I would think that it's way behind in the bench top planer catagory. Are the photos in the book of bench top planers or stationary floor models? The new bench tops are basically built to be fool proof for hobby shop home use.

1)     Align cutter heads with the table (knives are not adjustable on the DW735);

Most knives aren't adjustable these days. Most are also double sided too. Not having any adjustability also

makes these knives disposable. They typically can be re-honed at least once or twice before throwing them

away.

2)     Adjust infeed/outfeed roller heights to be parallel to the table;

Fool proof.

3)     Adjust infeed/outfeed roller heights relative to the arc of the knives;

Fool proof.

4)     Adjust space between chip-breaker and cutter head;

Fool proof

5)     Adjust space between pressure bar and cutter head

Fool proof

About the only things that you will need to do to that planer is to keep the knives sharp, keep the feed rollers clean and to adjust the in and out feed tables to help control snipe.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Esteemed Advisor
hankm

I recommend you take a few minutes and view this video:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/?videoId=4255237\&videoId=4255237

Snipe is endemic to most planers and is the #1 complaint.

A successful journey has two parts; facing the right direction, and taking the first step.

- Beachside Hank, WOOD Online Video Host

Veteran Advisor
joebtool

Hi Bob and welcome. Rick's comments are right on the money for this machine and most benchtops. I have had my 735 for 5 years now and have never had a problem. The only thing in my opinion you can do to improve this machine is to add the in and outfeed tables if you don't already have them and adjust them properly. This will eliminate 99% of snipe. When you do need new blades look into aftermarket blades from Infinity. They are a little thicker and hold the edge longer. Any other problems you need to see a DeWalt repair center. Good Luck.

Joe B.

Joe B.

"Better to wear it out than to let it rust."

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.