Apprentice Member
wallyjacque

10" Delta contractors saw 36-444

I have the above Delta contractors saw and have found the blade dosen't line up with the miter groove.  Its about 1/4 inch off on the rear of the table.  I used a adj. square to check this.  It also shows up on the delta unifence.  Its even on the front of the fence and 1/4 inch off on the rear.  Any solutions ?

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Re: 10" Delta contractors saw 36-444

The trunnions holding the blade in alignment to the slot are off. Look up under your saw. You will see the trunions (framework for moving your blade up and down and tilting) are bolted to the bottom side of the saws top. Loosen all four bolts and then snug one of them back up. Now tap the trunnion back and forth until you have the blade aligned with the miter slot. Use a dead blow mallet if you have one or a block of wood with your steel hammer if you don't. Once aligned, tighten all four of the screws. After blade to miter slot alignment is achieved, then align the rip fence to the miter slot. This operation on a contractors saw is not easy, so have patience.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Apprentice Member
wallyjacque

Rick,

Thanks a million, I'm going downstairs right now and start fixing the problem. I have an armour to build for my grandaughter.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

Here to is a link to a Wood Magazine, table saw tune up article.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/pdf/delta/ds-038free.pdf

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

Great article posted by Rick.  While you're at it, it's a good time to get a new blade and ZCI.  The DeWalt Precision Trim, Freud Diablo, and CMT ITK Plus series are all good blades that aren't overly expensive and are readily available at most big homecenters.

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

Rick's method is good, but I found on mine the dang trunnions would move slightly while I was tightening the boltd...no matter how slowly or in what sequence. I wound up putting PALS on it which really solved my problem. Someone once described these things as $18 for the idea, and $2 for the hardware (very true) but they are a great alignment tool IF you have trouble getting it aligned otherwise. GREAT saw, BTW.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Veteran Advisor
Ted_in_Michigan

I think he's still downstairs aligning the thing.

Ditto what Fred said. I've aligned mine and, yeah, it can be a pain in the kiester. Don't think I ever got it dead on - but it's close!

That's pretty much the same saw I have (but mine came with a Bies fence, CI wing & extension table). Have lusted after a real cabinet saw but this one has been so nice, there's no real reason to go bigger. Yet.

Fred - are the PALS hard to install, and when installed, do they simplify the process.  

Ted in Michigan
Go Buckeyes!
http://www.tedsworkshop.com
Esteemed Advisor
fredhargis

[ Edited ]

Ted, installing the PALS is a piece of cake....and after they are in, adjusting your saw to .002" is as esay as turning the set screw that moves the trunnion. Well, actually there are 2 set screws tto move, they are opposing, so you loosen one and tighten the other. It stays put after you set it as well.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Esteemed Advisor
knotscott

I had PALS on my GI contractor saw.  They're $20 well spent IMHO, and aren't hard to install.  They only go on the back trunnion brackets which are easier to reach than the front bracket.  They definitely make it easier to fine tune the alignment, however they don't address any of the twisting issues that occasionally occur on saws with the connecting rods as an arbor carriage. 

"I've gotta stop treating this stuff like it grows on trees"
Honored Advisor
Howard Acheson

>>>>  I wound up putting PALS on it which really solved my problem.

The PALS are an excellent item for contractor saws.

Howie..............

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.