Apprentice Visitor
jnttkhs31

heaters

I have a workshop in a rented garage.  I would like to be able to use it in the winter safely.  I would like some ideas on what is a safe way to heat the garage when I am out there working.  I also don't want it to cost too much.

Advisor
Rrandy

Re: heaters

I have a 15,000 btu propane heater without the ceramic blocks. As long as the temp is above 20 it will allow working. If the temp goes below that it has a really hard time keeping up. ! car garage and the door is not insulated or wind proofes so heat is lost there. One of the 4 foot tall bottles cost around 80 bucks to fill and under heavy use I can squeeze out about 2 months. And when the power goes out for more than a day I have a place we can get warm or move the heater to the house.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

I've got an 85,000 BTU propane mushroom burner and go through about twenty 20# bottles of propane throughout the winter.  I work out there every day, all day. 

My detached 2.5 car garage shop is pretty much insulated and buttoned up against the elements and I can reasonably get it up to 55-60 degrees without a lot of fuss, even when it's zero outside.   When it comes time to finish I'll crank up the heat for an hour or two prior to the event, then kill the burner during the time when I'm spraying.  It's worked nicely that way for years.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Senior Advisor
fredhargis

Consider one of the kerosene heaters as well....such as this one. I've had one for years, and did use it for a while to heat my shop until I put in something a little more permanent. They are fairly odor-free, once past the start up...and then they have an odor at shut down. You do have to use a high quality K1, I get mine at a local BP station. One downside is they are a little slow to warm a room up, so you have to plan ahead on when you will be out there.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Veteran Contributor
marten b

I put a ceiling hung 45000 btu heater in my garage/shop.  Works great on propane.  Not sure of the cost to run but that might be a factor for you as well.  I keep my place at 50 or so and bring it up to 65 for time working in there.  It has all combustion air coming from outside as well.  Very important as you don't want sawdust in the combustion chamber.  

Marten

Veteran Contributor
westphaljoe

[ Edited ]

At 45000 BTU's per hour You can figure on roughly 2 hours run time per gallon of propane. That the time that the main burner is firing. ie; if the burner cycles in 15 minute increments ( 15 on/15 off) it would consume 1 gallon about every 4 hours.

there is approximatly 91,500 +/- btu's available in each gallon of LP

How long a given quantity of gas will last is a difficult question to answer since it depends on many factors including: ambient temperature, volume of heated space, insulation value, comfort level desired, resistance to air infiltration, etc.

so this is a question I hate to try answering. 

Senior Contributor
monfre

West makes a very good point, unless your garage is somewhat insulated or insulated and air sealed your going to spend alot to heat the place even if its just for a few hours or a day or a weekend. A well insulated, air seled shop you could work out there with next to no heat at all almost all year round, so just imagine if you were to insulate your shop and throw a nice NG or Propane heater in there to keep the shop/garage at say 55 degrees and kick it up to 68* when your working would be realitively cheap, and condsidering the cost of Fuel, NG insulation is realitively cheap when comparing the 2. I would opt for a hanging furnace from the ceiling using either Propane or NG. Using propane will give you more BTU's per unit vs. NG but it's not that much difference. 

Dan
Cedar Grove,Wi
Frequent Contributor
Boot Knife

I'm going to be getting a used 80,000 btu LP furnace for free and was planning on using 20 lb. bottles for starters. Its an detached uninsulated 3 car garage. Any one have an idea of how much this will cost to run? I plan on turning it on a half hour before going into the shop and trying to stay around 50 deg. 

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

swiped this from another forum where someone asked the same question...

"Propane is usually measured in pounds. You get 21622 btu per pound.
So a 20 pound bottle will net you 432440 btu. So just find out what the
usage of your product is and the amount of your supply."  and

" A gallon of pressurized liquid prpane is 91400 BTU."

A gallon around here is going for about 2.40.....my neighbor just got his tank topped at work....

Your propane tanks will generally not be filled over 80% liquid to give it room to turn to gas.

Senior Contributor
monfre

If your planning on heating an uninsulated garage I wouldn't run the furnace the entire time, you'll find that after heating a uninsulated garage or shop your going to take atleast 1/2 the life off your roof deck and shingles, from the heat running up to the underneath roof deck with the freeze and thaw cycles the shingles will start to curl and before you know it you'll be spending more for a new roof than what it would cost to buy insulation and insulate either the entire garage or partition it off.

A 80K BTU furnace for a 3 car garage is over kill for that size space especially if it's insulated, I heat my 2-1/2 car shop with a 40K BTU Hot Dawg Furnace and it's the right size though IMO its just a tad oversized but even on the coldest days of Winter it cycles on about 3/hr and runs for approximately 10-12 minutes per cycle. That 80k BTU furnace in a uninsulated space will run almost no stop cause the heat gonna go right thru the roof literally. Personally If I were you I'd insulate the entire space and get a smaller furnace maybe a 45K-50K BTU furnace and you save money all the way around, not to mention resale value that you'll be adding.
Dan
Cedar Grove,Wi

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.