Senior Contributor

Re: Window coverings

A burgler alarm hooked to a cell phone. Also signs on the ground and decals on the windows.

Honored Advisor

demardist86 wrote:

A burgler alarm hooked to a cell phone. Also signs on the ground and decals on the windows.

and visible foil tape and glass break sensors...

show that the windows are alarmed...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick...

Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Not the cheapest, but Pella makes dual pane windows with the mini-blinds inside the glass.  

There are also windows made that become opaque when a current is applied (or is it visa-versa ?)  

Esteemed Advisor

Vertical blinds work great at letting in light without having to open them enough for peering eyes from the outside.  I replaced all of the large blinds in our RV with Levelor verticals.  With the exception of two 2nd floor rear windows on the house, all of the windows have verticals on them.

You can also install a local alarm system on doors and windows, or go for broke and get a monitored system for the whole house.  Motion sensors and glass break detectors can be added to the system, along with smoke/fire detectors.

Senior Contributor

Read some of the others. I would purchase a livestock panel, cut sections to fit and attach'm to the window studs with huge

staples. Can see in, can reach thru to adjust your window for draft, but will be a headache to try getting in. Seems like those panels are close to 1/4'' galvanized.

Bear

Honored Advisor

I bought an infrared sensor from radio shack that I hooked up a recorder that dialed the phone at home. It had an invisible beam. I installed a reflector on the oppisite wall about 50 foot away. When the light beam was interrupted the phone would ring at our house. We lived about 4 miles from the business. When the phone rang during the night I had a recording telling us we needed to go see mom. The only sound made in the building was when the recorder clicked on. I would call a sheriff friend and my son who worked in our business  and it would take just a few seconds or less to drive the distance. We commented to one another that our three cars were the only cars on the road at that time of the night and were way over the speed limit each time. In the 14 years we were broken in to 5 times. The first time they got off with way too much and the next day I started looking for something to help stop it. The other 4 times we caught the people in the building. We often wondered what would have happened if they had guns. We had guns but never had to fire a shot. Our business was located a mile or so out of the city limits so no patrol out there.

Father in law lived on the property and wife would call him after we left the house. He carried a double barrel shot gun so the four of us covered each side of the business. The infrared sensor cost just a few bucks and I had to buy a small recorder to go with it. Radio Shack told me at the time I should call the phone company and see if there would be any charges but I never did. 

I know this type of alarm is not for everybody. I guess I was too young to know any better. But it worked great. The bad part was we always got a busted out full size glass in the door to replace. After the first busted glass I got a  bright idea and installed the sensor outside and put the light and the reflector about 4 foot off the ground so it wouldn't give us false readings like animals going through the light. That didn't work at all cause a number of times the alarm would go off, and for three of four times, nothing.....All we ever come up with setting the alarm off were bats..... So back inside the sensor went.... and more busted glass doors...  What a life