Senior Contributor
Mr-Ron

Re: What would you do? Pegboard or rolling tool cart?

He is 14; still growing. Maybe he will grow into a 52" high workbench:smileywink:

Mr. Ron, So. Mississippi. Smarter than the average bear.
Senior Contributor
Mr-Ron

Workbench height will always be a compromise at best. It depends on what it is you are working on. In order to work at a comfortable, safe and efficient height, the ideal workbench would have adjustable height. Others have asked the question of how to make an adjustable height workbench, but so far, no one has come up with a good design. It would have to be height adjustable within seconds, so adding or removing height spacers would be a pain. Maybe you can come up with a solution.

Mr. Ron, So. Mississippi. Smarter than the average bear.
Senior Contributor
dpuskar

The size of you shop I would go with pegboard or some cabinets.

Advisor
Rrandy

With dust getting on everything and security in mind but still having good accessibility...I've seen a lot of swing open shallow cabinets for small shops. Something say 30 to 40 inches wide by 20 to 30 inches tall and 4 to 8 inches front to back. The doors and back are half the last size deep and there are 2 doors that swing open, kind of like a dual door medicine cabinet. You can put shallow racks or pegboard or a combo and store a lot of tools and such, and still close it up for keeping dust off and security. Those sizes are just to get you thinking and you can make it whatever size works for you.

I have all 3, cabinets, shelves, tool box/cart, and pegboard...wait that's 4. Anyhow, the pegboard is the least organized and biggest eyesore I have...I've been drawing on napkins a setup like I suggested to get rid of the peg board.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Community Manager
MSWOODcraft

IMHO peg board is a waste of valuable wall space in a small shop.  It may provide the illusion of organization, but it comes at the cost of what could be enclosed storage space if you went with wallmount cabinets instead.  

Granted, I understand the desire for the at-a-reach convenience, but think about all of the things that could go 'away' if you omitted the pegboard and substituted inexpensive shop cabinets in their place. 

I'd say that drawers are the way to go for anything you'd want to hang on the wall.   Use the wall for higher impact storage solutions.

Best,

Matt Seiler
Wood Online Moderator

Esteemed Advisor
p_toad

Or, put up cabinets with pegboard faces (if you really, really want pegboard convenience AND the cabinet storage.  You can almost never have too much storage space (or tools; or clamps; or...)

Senior Advisor
firejohn

[ Edited ]

How about a compromise?  Wall cabinets with pegboard doors and shelves behind them.  This was from plans in a Wood magazine some time ago.  I modified it slightly to add the open shelf on the bottom.

Wall Storage Cabinet.jpg

Advisor
Rrandy

That's what I was trying to get across with a 1000 words...last 2 pictures

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Senior Contributor
coltons4

hello william so you are 14  too. well i am 14 too i always thought i was the only 14 year old woodworker nice to see more woodworkers my age joining the forums. for your storage promblem i recommend a rolling tool system . in my opinion pegboard looks ugly . if you plan to store clamps with the system the rolling cart is a excellent idea.

like what the other guys say be safe and have fun.

Spoiler
:smileyhappy:

lifes short
do woodworking
Apprentice Member
trumpeteer993088248

I salvaged some kitchen cabinets and removed the middle panel from the doors and replaced it with pegboard, and hang the small hand tools I use all the time on the door, you can even double up and hand stuff on the inside.  I use zip ties to keep the hooks from coming off, and I usually don't hang any expensive stuff on the doors since it does get dusty and whacked with a long baord every once in a while!

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.