Veteran Contributor
xrayman

Shop lighting 4' or 8' flur. fixtures?

I am still in the materials gathering mode for my new soon to be built

workshop.  My original plans called for  10 F96T8(8' two bulb) strips.  I am wondering if I would

be better off to go with 4'fixtures in tandum instead of the 8'fixtures.  The price of the 4' fixures

may be just a little more initially but the 4' bulbs are cheaper and I would much rather

change 4' than 8' bulbs.  The only drawback I see in using the 4' fixures is it will be more labor

to install them.  If it matters the rough size of the shop is going to be 24' X 48'. 

I would greatly apprieciate opinons .

JR

Advisor
Rrandy

Re: Shop lighting 4' or 8' flur. fixtures?

I'd go with 4 foot bulbs solely on the transport and disposal issue of handling an 8 foot long glass tube.

I'm not informed here but are all the different temps and colors that are available for the 4" bulb available for the 8' as well? I'm not sure if temps and colors is a correct description but refering to the type of light it puts out.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Veteran Contributor
xrayman

Randy,

Disposal and transport  are things I had thought of but you bring up more

good points for going with the 4'.  To answer your question on color

temperture, I think, most any color temp is available on 4'. thanks

for the input.

Jr

Senior Contributor
Larry Doug

I agree with the 4 footers, and I would use the daylight bulbs, or whatever they are called. :smileysurprised:

Veteran Contributor
xrayman

I think I found the perfect fixture.  8' long, 4 t8-48" in tandum.  Just like putting 2-48"

T8 2 bulbs in tandum but it is already done.  Thanks for the input

JR

Frequent Visitor
docburroughs

Where did you find them?

Veteran Contributor
xrayman

I found the fixtures at a local building supply "Stines" (a Louisiana company)

I have not purchased them, still waiting for them to get the total number I need.

If interested I'll post the manufacturer and model # when I get them.

JR 

Contributor
GeorgeBjelovuk

Lithonia Lighting manufactures an 8' fixture that's set up for four 4' T8 bulbs in tandem - like having two 4' fixtures end-to-end.  It can be ordered with one ballast for all four fixtures, or with two ballasts, so each pair can be turned on separately. I have 8 of these fixtures in my shop, installed as four rows of two fixtures each.  That makes each row 16' feet long, with four pairs of 4' bulbs.  I switched the ballasts separately, so I can turn on half the fixtures for general lighting, and all the fixtures when I'm working.

They're available in most lighting stores, and big box home improvement stores.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.