Apprentice Member
rsexton17

Shop light spacing help

Soon, I will purchase and install lights for the garage wood shop that I'm setting up. I plan to use 4', 2 tube T-8 flourescent fixtures with 6500k tubes. My shop area is 20' wide in a 28' deep garage with a celing height of 10' 4". The walls will be 5/8" T-111 painted white with a white, drywalled celing. The shop has a dedicated depth of 10' and the vehicles will be backed out for additional worhing area.

What I'm not sure of is the spacing of the lamps. Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,    Rick

Senior Advisor
GeorgeK-NJ

Re: Shop light spacing help

The more the better on lights, my initial thought is at least 12 fixtures, 6 on 2 separate circuits.

George K
Aberdeen, NJ

"I keep cutting and it's still to short"

"Stupid is Expensive"

Esteemed Advisor

Like George said the more the better.   You may be able to look on the light manufactures site to find out about light distribution for that fixture.    Remember that when the garage door is up, all those fixtures above the door will be blocked and should have a switch of their own.   Roly

Advisor
DaveinOhio

I would add a couple of other considerations.

First would be to add more lighting over areas such as your workbench and your table saw, where better visibility increases your safety.

Second would be to add a battery-powered emergency light on one of the light circuits, wired ahead of the switch(that is to say, the emergency light is always connected to hot power, regardless of switch position). It's easy to get hurt in the dark.

Dave

Senior Reader
jdamschroder

As someone else has said, Google is your friend.  I found my info there.

Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

I'm with George, 12 should do it for the main lighting. Task lighting will depend on your usage of the shop space.

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

Grainger catalog has a wonderful Section on Shop lights in their catalog.

It shows you how many and where for your given square feet.

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.