Apprentice Member
lossian
Accepted Solution

Question for the "FULLY LOADED WORKSHOP PLAY SPACE"

In slide #2 Paul talks about adding 2 inches of foam board to the outside of his insulated garage door to reduce energy cost....this is GREAT but I would like to know how he did this?  Did he glue the insulation to the door or what?  And did it look good from the outside or ?????? 

Help me with this as winter in coming in Iowa and would love to do something like this to reduce my heating bill.

Thanks

Honored Advisor
stick48668

Re: Question for the "FULLY LOADED WORKSHOP PLAY SPACE"

WTB it was glued to the inside of the door..

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Apprentice Member
lossian

In the picture it looks as though the foam is free standing and the garage door is half way open?  Am I missing something or not looking at it correctly?

Thanks!

Honored Advisor
stick48668

point me at the picture please...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Honored Advisor
mathisonr1

[ Edited ]

This is a photo of the outside. I can't really tell what the owner used to cover it with. Maybe a tarp or a canvas?

DO NOT GLUE THE SHEETING TO THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a simple friction fit installation. If need be you hold them in place by wedging 1x2's in the opening from the ground to the header. I also would recommend using two layers of 1" and off setting the seams, instead of using one layer of 2".

A matching pairMan standing by garage doors on inside

Rick Mathison
General Forums Host
"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."
Senior Contributor
monfre

Go to your local Home Depot, Menards or other home improvement store and ask for a garage door kit to insulate your door. They now have kits already made up for the average Home Owner to insultate there doors if there not already. What the cost of these kits are I don't know but I would suspect there not more than say $40, depending on the size of yoru door of courese. 

Dan
Cedar Grove,Wi
Veteran Contributor
westphaljoe

From the look of it,he simply took shhet style 2# foam sheets and wedged them into the garage door jambs on the outside. not really attached to the door itself. in one pic he has the ddoor 1/2 way open and you can still see the foam on the outside. Doing it this way precludes the use of the door on a regular basis.  I cant say it'd overly attractive on the outside visually but it gets the job done.

Esteemed Advisor
Larry-Jenkins

FWIW..

I too live in Iowa.  Yeah, it can get pretty cold here.  Here's what I do every winter with my 9' overhead insulated garage door that's in my shop.

Lay a 4" wide strip of fiberglass insulation on the floor right under the door.

Close the door (press down hard).

Screw the top of the door to the header.  Use two long screws.  This will help seal the top of the door.

Tear off strips of insulation.  With a screwdriver or a small flat bar, stuff the strips into the space between the door and the jambs, all the way around.

Keeps my shop a lot warmer.  I do this every winter..

Larry

Larry.. East Central Iowa

Good enough.. Isn't.

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.