Apprentice Visitor
Schuttdog

Plumbing for air

Does anyone remember where I saw an article about plumbing a small shop for air using a small pancake air compressor?  It used copper tubing and short hose connections.  Thearticle must have been 3, 4 or even 5 years ago.  Thanks for any help.

Veteran Advisor
rfcomm2k

Re: Plumbing for air

Not sure of the article, but do not solder the fittings. Flare the ends and use flare fittings.

Click for rfcomm2k's, PA Forecast

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" Ira Zolper, 1970
Senior Advisor
fredhargis

The only one I remember was in AWW, but it used air hose for the plumbing....most certainly not what you saw.

"I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be" Merle Haggard
Contributor
djc37

Hello Schuttdog and welcome!

Not to plug anyone's product but it sounds to me like the Rapidair nylon hose might be a way to go versus copper (cost, ease of installation, etc). Did a quick search and I didn't come up with anything but I'll keep looking.

Advisor
Rrandy

One guy I talked to used 3/8 cpvc pipe. For safety he had several old garden hoses that weren't being used and slid that over the pipe so if the pipe let go the hose would stop flying pieces and being bigger than the pipe and not secured on the ends it would allow the air to have an escape. Maybe not the best way but if you have the material laying around like he did the cost wasn't an issue.

Never do anything you don't want to explain to the EMT.

Frequent Contributor
LUTTY

Rockler has a kit.   $99 I think

Veteran Contributor
Rick in Pittsburgh

rfcomm2k,

Not to show my ignorance, but why flair the fittings? i am thinnking of running 3/4 copper in my shop and was planning on using soldered fittings.

Thanks

Rick in Pittsburgh

The worst of all failures, is the FAILURE TO TRY.
Senior Contributor
dpuskar

I agree why flared fittings, and why 3/4 copper, wouldn't 1/2 copper be suffice ?

Veteran Contributor
Rick in Pittsburgh

I read somewhere that the 1/2 pipe will work but the 3/4 inch gives more stored air for more nailing before the compressure kicks on. I guess like a larger tank. I don't know if it makes that much difference but the author of the artical seemed very convinced about it. He also "zig-zagged" the pipe back and forth up the wall after coming out of the compresser. That way any moisture in the lines will condense in the zig-zag and run back down toward the compressor. He then had a drip leg where the moisture will build up, and at the bottom of the drip leg a valve that he would open to drain out the moisture/water that built up there.

I think the artical was in "Fine Woodworking" magazine (if I'm allowed to say that :smileywink:) But I'm not sure. But it was enough to convince me for when I do run a line, I will probably follow his lead.

Rick in Pittsburgh

The worst of all failures, is the FAILURE TO TRY.
Honored Advisor
stick48668

go with the drip leg and forget the zig zag...

BTW..

for 1/2 pipe the volume is 1.6 gallons per 100' of pipe as where 3/4 pipe is 2.8 gallons per 100'...

hardly seems worth the effort and expense...

this would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
if only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....

© Copyright 2009, Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.